Thoughts on this Cross-Canada Route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
I would check out http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/locales/?locale_id=39&doctype=journal if you haven't already. My Canadian riding was Montreal to Quebec City and the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. Both amazing rides but not on your route. But, if the rest of Canada is like that, you will love it.

Thanks for the CGOAB link. I hadn't thought of it!

Cheers! :smile:

ayceejay

Guru
Being from New Brunswick I can understand the streamlined routes through Eastern Canada but if you want to be impressed with Quebec I suggest you go further north into Gaspesia and although Debade puts the Cabot Trail in NS rather than Cap Breton you could try some of that although it is wild up there and camping would not be recommended. I've seen bear moose and whale (in the sea) up there. The Cabot trail is favoured by motor car advertisers.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Just created this as well. Using maptools.com.

View attachment 85646

It gives me (and now you) a rough idea of how many days and what my 'planned' distances are per-day. I've got it temporarily done, by week... So, Week 1, I'll cover 30km/day (roughly), then week 2 will be 60km/day (again, just a guesstimation), and then hopefully by about a month in, I hope to be doing 80km/day till the end of the trip (speeding up if possible, slowing down if necessary). It isn't a race, just thought I'd give myself some idea as to how long it'll take, etc.

EDIT: This is if I were to ride day-after-day. I will NOT be doing that, that's almost a certainty. I'll probably stay a couple of days in a number of places, as well as Ottawa - I have friends who'll put me up as I've PROMISED to visit. :smile: This doesn't include rest-days, I'll try to get at least two in every week. ;) (Three? No, I couldn't possibly- oh go on then!)

How long are you planning to take to complete the ride?

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
How long are you planning to take to complete the ride?

In all honesty, this is my 'Escape from No Funswick' tour, so I plan to settle somewhere West. It's very open-ended, but I give myself about four months on the road. Barring the discovery of "The One", or I find a place I like and decide to stay there for a bit, I hope to complete the ride by September/October.

Route thru ON.: I would go the other way via North Bay, but this is purely personal preference because I don't know the area whereas I've been all over southern ontario. All depends on what you want to see and where. What happens at Tobermory? Ferry to Manitoulin? Probably a prettier route and it does avoid Sudbury altho it will be busy with summer tourists and the posh people in their weekend 'cottages'. Both end up thru The Soo and Wawa. I've also wanted to visit Wawa, ever since I met a girl at work from there. I did not believe her when she first told me where she was from. Probably no different from any other northern ontario town but til you've been you don't know.

Route thru AB., BC.: seems like a sensible way to go to me. IIRC, Creston is where the time zone changes from CT to PT. It would not be a bad idea to learn where the other time zone changes are! Osoyoos north thru the Okanagan is lovely and you will be there at a great time of year. Best cherries I've ever had were eaten from a road side stall in the valley. And crazily cheap!

When are you planning to start?

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
Route thru ON.: I would go the other way via North Bay, but this is purely personal preference because I don't know the area whereas I've been all over southern ontario. All depends on what you want to see and where. What happens at Tobermory? Ferry to Manitoulin? Probably a prettier route and it does avoid Sudbury altho it will be busy with summer tourists and the posh people in their weekend 'cottages'. Both end up thru The Soo and Wawa. I've also wanted to visit Wawa, ever since I met a girl at work from there. I did not believe her when she first told me where she was from. Probably no different from any other northern ontario town but til you've been you don't know.

Route thru AB., BC.: seems like a sensible way to go to me. IIRC, Creston is where the time zone changes from CT to PT. It would not be a bad idea to learn where the other time zone changes are! Osoyoos north thru the Okanagan is lovely and you will be there at a great time of year. Best cherries I've ever had were eaten from a road side stall in the valley. And crazily cheap!

When are you planning to start?

Hi Shadow,

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking taking the Northerly route, as it will allow me to see more people, and experience more places, which is really what the whole purpose of the trip is. To find a place in Canada that I love, and interact with as many people as possible along the way. :smile:

Regarding when I'm starting, it's up-in-the-air at the moment, due to finances and other factors, but I'm hoping for a late May start, if all works out. If not, then I'm in no rush, I'll start when I start and finish wherever I finish, tis' the journey, after all. :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hi Shadow,

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking taking the Northerly route, as it will allow me to see more people, and experience more places, which is really what the whole purpose of the trip is. To find a place in Canada that I love, and interact with as many people as possible along the way. :smile:

Regarding when I'm starting, it's up-in-the-air at the moment, due to finances and other factors, but I'm hoping for a late May start, if all works out. If not, then I'm in no rush, I'll start when I start and finish wherever I finish, tis' the journey, after all. :smile:

I'd be looking at the climate profiles before you choose random starts and finishes.

Part of my route has the possibility of road closure due to snow as late as mid June and things get decidedly chilly in October.

jay clock

Massive member
I will be amazed if your average distance is not a lot higher than 30k or 60 km per day. If you start at 9am and do a very very modest 10kmh you will be done for the day by noon in the first week based on 30km and if camping wild that means 6-9 hrs before bedtime....

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
I will be amazed if your average distance is not a lot higher than 30k or 60 km per day. If you start at 9am and do a very very modest 10kmh you will be done for the day by noon in the first week based on 30km and if camping wild that means 6-9 hrs before bedtime....

Aye, it has been pointed out on another forum to which I shared a similar post, that I'm probably a lot faster than I think I am! ;)

Top Bottom