Thoughts on this recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My brother's seemingly insoluble saddle problems have led him to seriously consider a recumbent.

Naturally, he's asked me for an opinion as the fount of all cycling knowledge, but I know next-to-nothing about recumbents.

He's tried this one, and despite falling off on the test ride, is quite tempted.

The folding is an attraction as he wants to take the bike in the car.

Specced up a bit, the cost will be about £3.5K - is this reasonable?

Are there any other recumbents I could point him towards?

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/ghp/index_e.html

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The Grasshopper gets good reviews but if I were spending £3.5 grand on a bike I would want to borrow one for a few days. A short test ride is not enough on a recumbent.

The high price is due to it being a folder. There are not many folding recumbents.

I had a Bachetta Giro 26 for a few months but could not get on with it but managed to sell it on quiclkly. I was lucky.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Azub also make some cracking recumbents. I'm sure their folding one is aptly named Origami. I found that you get more bang for your buck versus HP Velotechnic.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've passed on the Azub link and Mr Magoo's/Kevin's details.

Thanks for the replies so far.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A Fenland based recumbent sweet shop might have the answer or jolly sound advice . Gosh that sounds like the beginning of an advert so I will stop now .
Sent you a private message Mr PR

Why was that so cryptic? I think we are allowed to talk about Kevin on here ^_^

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think Kevin is an exception to that rule when it comes to recumbents ^_^
Not my decision to make. All I'll say is that being a recumbent wannabee I do appreciate reading advice given from the professional perspective.

Anyway... back on topic.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Morning. I tried out a Grasshopper prior to buying the SMGTe. I decided the fold added complexity and weight, and ultimately didn't meet my needs. I can't lift much, so folded weight rather than size is the restriction. SMGTe is very similarly engineered, but gains a bigger drive wheel to dispense with unusual gearing requirements.

My HPVelotechnik is still the goto recumbent in the shed. Rain, commute, bimble, shops, hauling, its the one thats dependable, safe, over engineered. Its not my fast bike, but then it probably has close to 35,000 miles on it, and it's still super plush and fast enough to take out for an overnight 250.

The best advice I can offer your brother is to try out as many as possible. Even within a single manufacturer or model, the choice of tiller / superman / underseat steering can create a totally different feel. After 8 years of recumbent riding, I can *almost* keep a tiller steered 'bent up for two pedal strokes. Others swear by them.

The right bike is out there. If he wants to take a spin on the back of the Quetzal any time, or come try a Streetmachine (I'm not letting him touch the encore, yet) he's more than welcome.

davidphilips

Veteran
The Grasshopper gets good reviews but if I were spending £3.5 grand on a bike I would want to borrow one for a few days. A short test ride is not enough on a recumbent.

The high price is due to it being a folder. There are not many folding recumbents.

I had a Bachetta Giro 26 for a few months but could not get on with it but managed to sell it on quiclkly. I was lucky.

now that is good advice i had a recumbent a few years ago and never used it just did not like it, a short test is not enough and its a pity i had not been given that advice before i bought one time spent testing/trying out is time well spent advise your brother to test at least a few.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think there's a danger of over-researching even a major purchase, but it does seem recumbents need proper looking into, so that's the direction in which I will shunt brother.

He's self employed/semi-retired so can find the time.

Thanks to everyone, and to @arallsopp for the offer of a test ride.

I like the way he casually mentions 'an overnight 250' as if such rides are routine.

Much as I like my occasional 100 mile rides on my ebike, me and genuine distance cycling are always going to be strangers.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
When I got my 'bent (shoulder injury made it a 'requirement' :whistle:) I found learning to ride it [Nazca Fuego - tiller steering] was like learning to ride a bike all over again. The balance is so different, starting is harder, wheelbase is longer, so heel-strike when tight turning is almost inevitable etc. It takes some time to get the hang of it - a bit like only having ridden an MTB and trying a drop-bar racer - totally different feel. Equally, well worth persevering :thumbsup:, as only then can one make a valid judgement whether this or that bike suits best :smile: ... then the :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: kicks in !

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Has anyone considered that rather than going to the expense of buying a folder a better option would be to get a trailer to tow behind the car? You can get second hand ones for less than £200 and they can be used for duties other than the bike too. I think that would be my option should I need to transport the trike, though of course I passed my test long before 1997 after which you need to take a separate towing test.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Alternatvely, you could fasten a roof rack to the car and 3 lengths of pvc piping with a sot cut out for the wheels. I took my ICE trike all over europe like the.

Top Bottom