Thoughts on this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I feel sad to know that he died, but probably going way too fast (97 mph) to react in time for the car turning right (without care). Not sure if it'll have an effect, see too many motorcyclists doing speeds in excess of 60-70 mph on the inner city roads where I live. They love to speed, these kids on their 600 cc + bikes.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
As a very experienced sports bike rider (GSXRs CBRs VTRs TLs ZXRs and loads more) I can only agree with the video and the sentiments of the anti brigade. I used to ride very fast, but got bored of it. Anyone can pin it and go flat out but, like cyclists we're at the mercy of myopic idiots wrapped in a ton of steel and airbags. So we should take more responsibility for our own safety. Sadly, in the video, the biker doesn't give himself an out. He has it pinned in heavy traffic going too fast and cannot avoid the inevitable collision. No matter what you drive or ride on the roads, drive defensively and always give yourself an out. RIP to the biker and best wishes to his caring and selfless family who by sharing this horrific film can only try and educate others so people are spared such grief through education.

Crankarm

Guru
I dunno, it's hard to feel sympathy for this guy who was ultimately the author of his own demise. You would have to a special type of nutter to ride a bike at near on 100mph on a fairly busy single carriageway A-road. The car driver, I think, was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving, however can't but feel the biker played a major part in this collision. If he hadn't been riding like a lunatic, he may well still be alive and those involved would not have had their lives changed forever. Very selfish.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The motorcyclist speeding at 97mph in a 60mph zone helped contribute to his death

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Awful, what I find astounding is there was no change at all, in the reaction of the rider according to the photos of his speedo and rev counter which stayed constant [won't watch the video]... he didn't change line, shut the throttle, brake, change down to scrub speed off, no anticipation of the car moving across him: nothing..... but the driver turned across his path so is at fault... clearly had no idea what he was doing. Can't make out how fast they were both going as I'm not prepared to watch the video.... was the 97mph quoted the closing speed of both or was the rider really doing 97mph- if he was then he was an idiot.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
This has been discussed at length amongst bikers, and even there the consensus is this was 50/50. The car driver failed to observe properly, and was the immediate cause of the collision, but the bike was doing a stupid speed for that road and overtaking on the approach to a junction. He then failed to reduce speed on seeing a car indicating to cross his path.

Cold

Awful, what I find astounding is there was no change at all, in the reaction of the rider according to the photos of his speedo and rev counter which stayed constant [won't watch the video]... he didn't change line, shut the throttle, brake, change down to scrub speed off, no anticipation of the car moving across him: nothing..... but the driver turned across his path so is at fault... clearly had no idea what he was doing. Can't make out how fast they were both going as I'm not prepared to watch the video.... was the 97mph quoted the closing speed of both or was the rider really doing 97mph- if he was then he was an idiot.

The rider was doing 97mph when he hit the car, the car looks like it was doing about 10mph as it turns into the junction.
With the speed he was going he didn't have time to react.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I was discussing this with my wife last night- I'm the support of the car camp, the road and junction is designed for him to be able to drive based on oncoming traffic travelling <60mph, I expect (guess) he saw the bike, applied the laws of physics and travel in his head, decided he had time to safely make it acrossly then discovered the bike was 50% faster than he was supposed to be.
What would happen if the bike was doing 200mph say? How can I drive my car based on the fact someone may be ignoring the rules of the road?

Some forums state the the car would have hit him even if he was doing 60mph which is what the court/ judge have gone with- would like to see their math for that, especially as if he was doing 60 he probably would have had time to react.
My moral compass continues to spin.

MarkF

Guru

Really poor riding, like he was teenager, he should have scrubbed off speed soon as he saw the "what if" car.

Many riders freeze, they mentally "fix" on the threat, that's why so many veer into poles, fences and trees at sharp corners when they should "fix" on getting around them.

young Ed

Veteran
bike was going much too fast and considering it is a 60 zone there i would have slowed to 40 or so just whilst riding past that junction but then again car driver should have stopped and waited and looked properly before turning
Eds' verdict is that they are both partially at fault.
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom