Thread lock on spoke nipples

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Er not realy you are meant to use nipple lube (hehe..... nipple lube) get it. why do you need to?

i use it when i get a new wheel.it's helped stop spokes breaking.
if i do need to replace any spokes i use sapim spoke nipples which have some sort of insert to stop them undoing.both methods have worked well so far after many breakages without.
many say it shouldn't be necessary but it works for me.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Can't seem to get the front one of my Zonda wheels to stay true and the destructions that came with mrs d's Fulcrum 3's which are virtually the same wheel say to use loktite. Not been a problem with standard crossed patterns on my other bikes.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Dave Davenport said:
Should you?

no

barq

I agree with pretty much everything above. Lubricate the nipples when wheel building to help get appropriate spoke tension and minimise spoke windup. Once done they really shouldn't be coming loose if the wheel is well tensioned. I guess there might be some benefits to something like linseed oil which helps stink the workshop out lubricate but then dries moderately hard - although not enough to make future adjustments a problem.

Am I correct in thinking Spoke Freeze is applied after the wheel is built and so doesn't help lube the spoke threads when wheel building? Seems a bit pointless to me... :biggrin:

Saddle bum

Über Member
If enough wellie is put into the spokes, they should never move under normal use. Never used anything on spokes in 30 odd years - except a spoke key.

robbarker

I use oil on the spoke threads when building wheels. It allows you to tension the spokes correctly, which is very difficult to do otherwise. Once they are tight enough, they don't come undone.

Top Bottom