Thread Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Hi.I've got a recurring problem with a bottom bracket cup which keeps coming loose.Fixed it last time with plumbing tape and it's lasted quite well.It's come loose on the fixie so I've bought some thread lock

It's A43 threadlock but not so sure how to apply it as I don't want to apply too much as I may never get the bottom bracket off again when I need to.

I've got Medium viscosity but am not happy with this and am prepared to buy low viscosity.Never had to use this stuff before so was unaware of the differences.May do a short term repair for now.A cycling colleague at work told me how dodgy this stuff was hence my reluctance to use it so far.

Any advice please?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

D

Deleted member 23692

Nay probs :smile:

Don't coat all the threads - do about ½ of what's on these. 3-4 full threads should easily do it.

29225_00_d.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lonestar

Veteran
I was thinking of putting a tiny amount on.Would guess I want to remove this at a later date.As I say looking this up I didn't know there was low and medium viscosity.

D

Deleted member 23692

The stuff I use looks like a Pritt stick - you just wipe some on the threads and off you go. As such I never knew there were different viscosities.

Hi.I've got a recurring problem with a bottom bracket cup which keeps coming loose.Fixed it last time with plumbing tape and it's lasted quite well.It's come loose on the fixie so I've bought some thread lock

It's A43 threadlock but not so sure how to apply it as I don't want to apply too much as I may never get the bottom bracket off again when I need to.

I've got Medium viscosity but am not happy with this and am prepared to buy low viscosity.Never had to use this stuff before so was unaware of the differences.May do a short term repair for now.A cycling colleague at work told me how dodgy this stuff was hence my reluctance to use it so far.

Any advice please?
Is it a threaded cup? Standard BSA thread? These cups don't come loose unless they are Italian thread.

Nevertheless, the viscosity of the threadlock is mostly irrelevant. Thinner threadlock is easier to dribble down blind holes than thick juice, but since you have perfect access and don't need to close any gaps, use whatever you have. There is different strengths as well, but jus use what you have and coat more thread should the applied quantity not work. Most threadlocks, dare I say all, become soft when heated so removal is easy whenever it is applied somewhere where a bit of heat, say 60 degrees C, won't hurt.

OP
OP
L

Lonestar

Veteran
Got the cup off and it's tightening from the non chainwheel side making the chainwell side come loose.Not for the first time either.It's a TANGE sealed bottom bracket.

I notice the non chainwheel side doesn't have a stopper meaning it can go into the bracket too far pushing the other side out which has a stopper so it wont push from that side...Ah it's called over torque from the non chainwheel side.It's tightening itself.

OP
OP
L

Lonestar

Veteran
Done now.Put a tiny drop on the chainwheel side and fitted it then fitted the non chainwheel side and put a drop on as an afterthought.

Front wheel needs sorting...Must have knackered bearings but this lot should last for the next three commutes starting tomorrow.Forty nine tooth chainwheel on front makes chain very stable.Never throws even with slackness unlike with smaller chainwheels.Going to fit the other fixie with a spare 52 chainwheel I have got.I reckon it's 42 or 46.That went well,thanks all.

Top Bottom