threadless bb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowcol

Hi folks,do any of you know if threadless bbs are any good,as the threads in my cannondale frame are shot and dont want to know when it comes to threaded bbs thanks ,colin

mountainrider

Hi folks,do any of you know if threadless bbs are any good,as the threads in my cannondale frame are shot and dont want to know when it comes to threaded bbs thanks ,colin

I certainly had a mavic one years ago which was good quality and ahead of its time but not sure if they still exist anymore. I had stripped my threads too. So it certainly fixed that situation. But chainsets have changes loads since i.e. the connection between the crank and bottom bracket axle so you'd need to look into what is available. Also my frame required a reaming to take the mavic as would any. That was back when all axles still had square taper connection to cranks.

I have been using an Acor one in my favourite bike since having the thread strip last year. It has performed just as good as the previous UN72 and I have not had to re-tighten.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've use oned before, got it from Byercycles- as far as I know they still stock them. Not certain what type it was, but probably an Acor one. I was very reasonably priced.

Worked well, it did work its way loose initially- I worked out you need to do it up nice and tight. It was OK after that.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
This is the Acor threadless bottom bracket
Note that the flanges that bear against the face of the BB shell are angled on the inside edge. This will stop the BB working up and down as you pedal and consequently loosening like one with a flat internal edge to the flange would.

The no longer available Mavic 600 and Stronglight JP1000 BBs said that you had to put a matching 45deg chamfer on the BB shell, but if you don't you'll get an adequate one from wear one you've tightened the BB up a couple of times.
If you can find one in the right axle length the Mavic would be best - it's got replaceable sealed bearings.

Top Bottom