Threadless stem to Quill stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mobi8

Regular
Hi

Purely for aesthetic reasons I would like to change from a threadless stem to a quill stem.

How hard is this to do, if possible at all?

cheers for any help :smile:

R600

Über Member
if you have a 1" steerer tube not 1&1/8th then you need a new head set the steerer tube cut to correct length and threaded. i have had this done but not by myself as i don't have the tools,my friendly LBS have the tools though :thumbsup:

R600

Über Member
Like this. This is what I did with my old Raleigh. It has the same adapter as pointed to by Poacher, and is only a few minutes job to fit the whole assembly. I may one day fit some aero levers.

02092013_zps7e5a3d12.jpg

have i read the OP wrong

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Whoops! Sorry, my mistake! Just never occurred to me that anyone would want to do that, so I just made the wrong assumption. You're completely correct with your advice to fit a new headset and cut and thread the steerer tube.

apb

Veteran
If you have a threadless headset/forks/stem, then your headset width will be 1 1/8th of an inch. Typically threaded headsets and quill stems are 1 inch.

So you need to replace you forks with some threaded 1 1/8 inch forks. Your headset with a threaded 1 1/8 inch headset. You will then probably need and adapter or shim so your quill stem will fit. like this

That's a lot of bother. A simpler way, i know not.

R600

Über Member
If you have a threadless headset/forks/stem, then your headset width will be 1 1/8th of an inch. Typically threaded headsets and quill stems are 1 inch.

So you need to replace you forks with some threaded 1 1/8 inch forks. Your headset with a threaded 1 1/8 inch headset. You will then probably need and adapter or shim so your quill stem will fit. like this

That's a lot of bother. A simpler way, i know not.

before 1&1/8th there was 1" threadless not for long though

Top Bottom