Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The more I think about it, the harder I think this challenge is.
Yes - It sounds fairly straightforward, but I think it is deceptively tricky!

If for some reason you can't ride from Mon-Thu then you just have to squeeze rides in Fri-Sun no matter how busy you are, how ill you feel, or how bad the weather is!

I got my last 2023 ride in just before sunset on NYE.

I don't have the logs to prove it, but I reckon that last year was the first time since I started cycling again (1989) that I have cycled 3+ times EVERY week!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The loop is only 5 or 6 miles, but anti clockwise feels a lot less climbing than clockwise. Can't really work out why.
Gradients and/or prevailing wind direction?!

If I ride my 32 km Cragg Vale loop clockwise I have an average gradient of 3.4% on the main climb and the prevailing wind is a cross-headwind in the second, exposed half of the ascent.

If I ride it anticlockwise I have an average gradient nearer 7% on the main climb and the prevailing wind is a cross-tailwind.

Normally, the gradient/wind balance makes the clockwise direction much easier but I once did it anticlockwise in an extremely strong wind which must have shifted direction as I got to the summit. I did the 7% climb ridiculously fast - think pro cyclist, or ebike! When I turned left at the summit though I found myself heading down the hill into a massive headwind. I had to use my lowest gear to get down off the moor!!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
For the first time in weeks I rode more than a couple of miles this afternoon. I'm busy clearing my parents house so have lots of stuff to donate to charity. I took the opportunity to visit a charity shop in Cramlington to check that they're accepting donations before filling the car for the next trip.

The route takes me past the site of the new railway station that they're working on and I had to wait at the crossing for a train to go through so I had a chance to look at the progress. It's a big job as they're taking the opportunity to remove the level crossing and so are rerouting the road over the line. The station, and new passenger service, is due to open this year. Once it's running it'll mean I can get a train within walking distance of home rather than five miles away. But since I'm not working now it'll not be as much use.

Just as well that it wasn't a windy day as I needed all my gears to get up the hill. If there'd been the usual westerly head wind I might have given up. Once at the top of the hill it's a fairly flat route through a housing estate. As I'd cleverly chosen to go out during the televised Sunderland - Newcastle match there weren't many people about. Just a handful of dog walkers.

The charity shop had usefully put a sign outside saying that they want donations and what time of day to drop them off. So that meant I didn't need to fold the bike and go inside.

Followed the same route home, obviously a nice downhill in this direction. I used to appreciate that in my commuting days.

A total of about 8 miles and I was out for about an hour. I think tomorrow's weather forecast is quite good so I might try to get out again tomorrow. See if I can get back into some sort of routine.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Not sure if I am going out again this week. Did my first 50km yesterday & it was more exacting than normal due to the bleepin' effects of C19, then I didn't get to bed until after 3:30am.
W1R1 - CX 33 mins - local gravel loop.
W1R2 - Centurion 37 mins - local miles.
W1R3 - Hybrid 2 hours 55 mins - Burnley, Haggate, Thursden, Coldwell, Walton Summit, Trawden, Winewall, Laneshaw Bridge, Nonya ford, Kelbrook, Foulridge, L&L up to unannounced towpath blockage then back track and up Slipper Hill, Blacko, Barrowford, Wheatley Lane, Fence, Burnley (total 37.6 miles / 60.5 km plus 1,111 m / 3,645 ft ascent)
DSC_0503.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I wouldn't argue with them if they didn't want to let me pass!
I have had many scary encounters with roadhogs, but towpathhogs are a threat that I am yet to encounter! :laugh:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Week 1. Ride 3 complete. I was going to go yesterday but ….
You know how it’s said that if you have to eat a live frog, it’s best not to look at it too long? Well I looked too much and frogged my way out of it. Today I did 3 short workouts (short HIIT, 20 mins lifting and a 12 min ascending time plank thingy). I had some food and determinedly got changed. It’s Baltic out there.
37 mins and 8 miles done. Ascended 132 metres and got it done. Bloody hell I am cold!
That’s 3 of 3.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Week 1: 3 qualifying rides, 38 km, 2¼ hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Thu): 18 km. To Hebden Bridge then ¾ of steep Heptonstall climb (intercepted by pal coming down the hill because the cafe was shut!), alternative cafe in town, then back to Todmorden. 1 hr. (42/15 gear on 6-er except for slog on 42/29 for climb)
  • Ride 2 (Sat): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr. (42/15 gear)
  • Ride 3 (Sun): 9 km. Undulating local loop. ½ hr. (42/15 gear)
Success rate: 1 week out of 1.

3 qualifying rides so far this year. Total 38 km, of target 100 km (weekly target 100 km). Total ride time approximately 2¼ hrs.

PS Special characters to copy and paste for ride durations - ¼ ½ ¾ !

Last edited:

netman

Veteran
Week 1: 3 qualifying rides, 36.5km, 1hr 54mins.
  • Ride 1 (Mon): 15.5km. To Broadclyst and back. 47 min.
  • Ride 2 (Sat): 10km. To Exeter Central Station and back. 32 min.
  • Ride 3 (Sun) 11km. To River Exe and back. 35 min.
PXL_20240101_104909010.jpg

St. John The Baptist Church, Broadclyst

PXL_20240107_140105894.jpg

River Exe

Success rate: 1 week out of 52.

3 qualifying rides so far this year. Total 36.5 km. Total ride time approximately 1hr 54mins.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'm still going in this despite feeling extremely rough with a tummy bug all week. In fact one one of the rides I had to stop and ..... (you don't want to know)
Tuesday - a loop near me to get some milk. 10 miles
Thursday - another loop checking on some tree damage in the storms. 6 miles. Both rides on my 1990's MTB converted to a do-it-all bike.
Will be out later today.

Next week is going to be a tester, very cold forecast, at least there doesn't seem to be any rain about, as I won't go out if there's a chance of ice.

Top Bottom