Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've managed two rides this week :eek:

I thought I'd better try early in the week while I was still motivated from last week. So when I needed some veg from the garden on Monday I took the opportunity to go a slightly longer way around to push the ride over the half hour mark. It wasn't the nicest of days and I was surprised how many people were wandering about at the beach despite being blasted by an easterly wind. Anyway worth it for the veg contributing to a couple of different homemade soups this week.

This afternoon I went out for a pootle about up to Cramlington. Much more pleasant as we've finally got to see the sun. No purpose to the ride except to get out. I don't log my mileage or time but I think it was a bit more than 10 miles and I was out for about an hour and a half. A bit slow because of having to walk a stretch where the cycle path is closed and also a couple of chats to dog walkers.

I don't think I'll get out tomorrow but it'd be good if I can get motivated to give the bike a bit of a clean and check the tyres.

FrothNinja

Veteran
W2R1 - Centurion 35mins - local miles.
W2R2 - Centurion 36 mins - local miles.
W2R3 - Centurion 38 mins - local miles.
Pic is of something odd I saw on my travels - what appears to be a punnet of fresh chestnut mushies deposited about 15 feet off the track I was on, and about 1/4 a mile from the nearest habitation.
DSC_0582.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Week 2: 3 qualifying rides, 33 km, 2 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr.
  • Ride 2 (Wed): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. ½ hr.
  • Ride 3 (Fri): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr.
All in 42/15 gear on 6-er. (Had hoped to do more riding at the weekend but ... [insert pitiful excuses here!]).

Success rate: 2 weeks out of 2.

6 qualifying rides so far this year. Total 71 km, of target 200 km (weekly target 100 km). Total ride time approximately 4¼ hrs.

PS Special characters to copy and paste for ride durations - ¼ ½ ¾ !

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Last night was a bit hit and miss. I did 3 rides on Sunday. Stopped to do a proper rest between my 30 mins.
Earlier in the week, I fell over in the work car park. No fault of work here, I was just by the car and turned my ankle on nothing at all, smacked my shoulder in to the car and quite hurt myself. I couldn’t have ridden my bike if you had offered me a thousand pounds to try (actually, I might have tried a bit), so I had to do them on Sunday. It was OK until any lump in the road at all, plus it was bloody freezing. I just paused the garmin and visited with a friend who was around 30 mins ride away, then visited with another. It seemed like a plan.

Today, I got out for a whopping 34 mins and 7.1 miles. It was freaking freezing and we got gritted twice. I stayed on gritted roads as much as possible, or where the road surface was quite rough. One foot was really cold with a numb toe or two, the other foot was fine. My ears went numb under their buff. It was -1 but with the windchill was probably a degree or two less. I must have been mad.
1 down, 2 to go.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Last night was a bit hit and miss. I did 3 rides on Sunday. Stopped to do a proper rest between my 30 mins.
Earlier in the week, I fell over in the work car park. No fault of work here, I was just by the car and turned my ankle on nothing at all, smacked my shoulder in to the car and quite hurt myself. I couldn’t have ridden my bike if you had offered me a thousand pounds to try (actually, I might have tried a bit), so I had to do them on Sunday. It was OK until any lump in the road at all, plus it was bloody freezing. I just paused the garmin and visited with a friend who was around 30 mins ride away, then visited with another. It seemed like a plan.

Today, I got out for a whopping 34 mins and 7.1 miles. It was freaking freezing and we got gritted twice. I stayed on gritted roads as much as possible, or where the road surface was quite rough. One foot was really cold with a numb toe or two, the other foot was fine. My ears went numb under their buff. It was -1 but with the windchill was probably a degree or two less. I must have been mad.
1 down, 2 to go.

Been machine gunned by the gritter too - thinks it's time to break out the Folda

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Two rides so far this week, so I should be good for another week.
Yesterday was a tricky day. I walked my bike to the nearest gritted road and then gently rode round some of them. A butt clenching moment once whilst going through a part in shadow but I survived.
Today I nipped out for a slightly longer ride on un-gritted roads and yesterday's decision seems to have been a good one as there was a car in a ditch on the route. Passed some llamas/ alpacas in a field and they appeared totally unconcerned by the cold weather.
Both rides were under an hour, at most 10 miles each.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Too icy on the backstreets here to ride my normal loop. The main roads are fine but getting to them could be iffy... The cold snap should be over soon. I will do this week's second and third rides after the thaw!

FrothNinja

Veteran
On two rides so far - I have been walking to the nearest comparatively ice free route then riding up and down it until I hit my target then back to the warm again. Wondering if I should also be counting the walk out toward the target.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Wondering if I should also be counting the walk out toward the target.
I was thinking that if I got a puncture on my local loop in this bitterly cold weather I would probably walk the bike home if less than about a 20 minute stroll away, which most of the loop is, and fix the puncture back here in the warm and dry. If I did that and the total ride plus walk time was 30+ minutes I would definitely count it! :okay:

(Unless that was on the Sunday, I would try to get an extra ride in as well though.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ooo errr, after my previous post full of hubris because I thought I'd cracked this cold week, I find myself needing another ride tomorrow, when I don't often ride on a Sunday. Will keep my mouth firmly shut in the future.
I dodged the bitter cold, snow and ice at the start of the week. Unfortunately, that has left me facing wind and rain to complete this week's challenge!

I got a damp ride in this afternoon. It looks like conditions tomorrow for ride #3 will be a lot worse unless I get up much earlier than usual and do it before the heavy rain sets in.

Top Bottom