Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ran 3 impact resistance tests on today's ride... I was curious to know how my bar-end mirror, Garmin GPS + mount, and right knee would cope with a test crash. Here are the results:
  1. Much to my surprise, the mirror passed the test! It just folded back out of harm's way.
  2. The GPS device left the bike and was sent scuttling down the alley ahead of me. I feared for its integrity, but somehow it was unscathed. Its mount was not so lucky though! I could see part of it was still attached to the bike. The rest had scuttled off with the Garmin.
  3. My old right knee took a good whack. For a couple of seconds I lay wondering what had happened (as one does), but I had an audience of two startled police officers, a startled old lady, and her very startled dog, so I leapt to my feet shouting "Oh dear, silly me, never mind, it didn't hurt" while suspecting that it might actually hurt once the adrenaline wore off!
I had intended to nip down the alleyway at the back of Todmorden police station. I often go that way when delivery vehicles are blocking a left turn up the street.

This is the end of the alley...

Posts of death.jpg

I had spotted 2 policemen having a crafty cigarette break behind the low wall on the right. I normally ride through big gap to the left of the leftmost of the 3 posts but today that gap was blocked by someone's recycling containers. Distracted by the smokers, and trying not to get too close to the nearby old lady with her dog, I didn't notice the containers until it was nearly too late, and swerved to go through the next gap to the right. In a split-second I realised that the gap was actually a bit on the narrow side. Too late - my handlebar clipped the centre post - I was going down, baby!

One officer decided to continue his break indoors! The other was concerned that I might be injured. The old lady asked if I was ok, and continued on her way when I told I was, thanks. I ended up having a chat with the second officer before getting back on the bike.

All thoughts of extending the ride had evaporated! The strong, gusty wind had been really annoying anyway so it was a good excuse to head for home.

Another week completed. I had guests for 3 days this week and went for a walk with a pal on Thursday so I only had 3 riding days. The weather, a puncture, and the crash put me off doing much more than the bare minimum. Maybe next week will be more interesting? Actually, Anne is right - forecast not good... Oh well, I'll get out when I can be bothered to!

Week 5: 3 qualifying rides, 36 km, 2¼ hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Fri): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr (Punctured on ride and walked 4 km with bike, but counting that as riding!).
  • Ride 2 (Sat): 15 km. Very extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr.
  • Ride 3 (Sun): 10 km. Slightly extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr (Ride aborted after a minor crash!)
Mostly in 42/15 gear on 6-er but I did need lower gears for a steeper climb than usual on Sunday's ride.

Success rate: 5 weeks out of 5.

15 qualifying rides so far this year. Total 219 km, of target 500 km (weekly target 100 km). Total ride time approximately 13¼ hrs.

PS Special characters to copy and paste for ride durations - ¼ ½ ¾ !

FrothNinja

Veteran
I ran 3 impact resistance tests on today's ride... I was curious to know how my bar-end mirror, Garmin GPS + mount, and right knee would cope with a test crash. Here are the results:
  1. Much to my surprise, the mirror passed the test! It just folded back out of harm's way.
  2. The GPS device left the bike and was sent scuttling down the alley ahead of me. I feared for its integrity, but somehow it was unscathed. Its mount was not so lucky though! I could see part of it was still attached to the bike. The rest had scuttled off with the Garmin.
  3. My old right knee took a good whack. For a couple of seconds I lay wondering what had happened (as one does), but I had an audience of two startled police officers, a startled old lady, and her very startled dog, so I leapt to my feet shouting "Oh dear, silly me, never mind, it didn't hurt" while suspecting that it might actually hurt once the adrenaline wore off!
I had intended to nip down the alleyway at the back of Todmorden police station. I often go that way when delivery vehicles are blocking a left turn up the street.

This is the end of the alley...

View attachment 720807
I had spotted 2 policemen having a crafty cigarette break behind the low wall on the right. I normally ride through big gap to the left of the leftmost of the 3 posts but today that gap was blocked by someone's recycling containers. Distracted by the smokers, and trying not to get too close to the nearby old lady with her dog, I didn't notice the containers until it was nearly too late, and swerved to go through the next gap to the right. In a split-second I realised that the gap was actually a bit on the narrow side. Too late - my handlebar clipped the centre post - I was going down, baby!

One officer decided to continue his break indoors! The other was concerned that I might be injured. The old lady asked if I was ok, and continued on her way when I told I was, thanks. I ended up having a chat with the second officer before getting back on the bike.

All thoughts of extending the ride had evaporated! The strong, gusty wind had been really annoying anyway so it was a good excuse to head for home.

Another week completed. I had guests for 3 days this week and went for a walk with a pal on Thursday so I only had 3 riding days. The weather, a puncture, and the crash put me off doing much more than the bare minimum. Maybe next week will be more interesting? Actually, Anne is right - forecast not good... Oh well, I'll get out when I can be bothered to!

Week 5: 3 qualifying rides, 36 km, 2¼ hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Fri): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr (Punctured on ride and walked 4 km with bike, but counting that as riding!).
  • Ride 2 (Sat): 15 km. Very extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr.
  • Ride 3 (Sun): 10 km. Slightly extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr (Ride aborted after a minor crash!)
Mostly in 42/15 gear on 6-er but I did need lower gears for a steeper climb than usual on Sunday's ride.

Success rate: 5 weeks out of 5.

15 qualifying rides so far this year. Total 219 km, of target 500 km (weekly target 100 km). Total ride time approximately 13¼ hrs.

Trust you and the bike recover well. Can I recommend you get a silicone case for you Garmin if you don't have one. Mine has now survived 4 prangs (not all while I was on the bike)

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
When the weather is particularly vile I go out for short rides in the course of the day and add them all together. I also do this if I am working from home and too busy to take half an hour in one lump.

To be honest I nearly counted four rides on Monday - two return journeys - when it chucked it down all day. Discovered on the second trip out that my boots were still wet from the first! Having wet feet is a bit miserable.

But we can all set our own rules for this and I'm only going to include rides of at least 30 minutes.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hope you don't feel worse after a rest @ColinJ I think there are probably better ways to test your mirror and GPS 🤔
My knee feels a bit sore but I could easily have broken a hip, kneecap, elbow etc. so I am lucky that is all it is**. I think it is better when one doesn't have time to react. Sticking a hand out to break the fall is what often leads to a broken wrist or collar bone.

I think the bike got off lightly too. I have a spare Garmin mount so the loss of the old one wasn't a big deal. I have slightly scuffed the bar tape. I think the derailleur is ok, though I haven't changed gear since the fall. The bike didn't slip out of gear on the way home so it should be sound.

PS **Actually, my back aches too. I was cooking my evening meal and wondering why my back was so stiff, then I realised why! I don't think that will be a big issue either.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Definitely lucky... The knee feels 50+% better today and my back 90+%. I was tempted to get a ride in but decided to be sensible and limit myself to walking to and from the shops.

Tomorrow is looking a bit soggy. If I do go out, it will be a quick, drizzly ride later on.

Wednesday looks chilly, but otherwise pretty good for a reasonable ride.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Another week done for me.
Wet start to the week meant I didn't ride till Wednesday when I went out for a longer ride with a pal up some hills. Boy was I puffing! Had to cut short my intended route.
Friday I tootled round, was a pleasant day.
20240126_141646.jpg

a well preserved pinfold on the route.

Today I bobbed out on the tandem to do some shopping (I did have a stoker!).

Only pretty short rides so far this year, but realistically without this challenge I wouldn't have done even them. I don't want a repeat of last year where there were several times where I didn't ride for weeks.

annedonnelly

The rain finally stopped after lunch so I've just been out and pootled about for about 50 minutes. And amazingly that takes me to three qualifying rides this week! Can't remember when that last happened.

Wednesday was the best day for a ride. Bright and sunny and hardly a breeze. My plan to call at a local cafe was scuppered as Wednesday is the only day they're closed! But it did mean I did more riding. About an hour and three quarters.

Yesterday morning I did about 45 minutes locally during the only time of day when we saw the sun and some blue sky. The gloom descended shortly after that.

It's amazing what you spot when you're riding aimlessly. A tent tucked into a sheltered spot on the beach between the prom and a groyne was marked Salty Sauna. Apparently you have a dip in the North Sea and then dash up the beach to sit in the sauna. I think I'll give that a miss!

FrothNinja

Veteran
W6R1 - Centurion 34 mins - soggy local miles.
W6R2 - Centurion 34 mins - soggier local miles.
W6R3 - CX 1 hour 23 mins - Clarion Tadpole - just over 1000ft of ascent - and there is still some snow on them thar hills.
DSC_0700.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Week 6: 3 qualifying rides, 35 km, 2 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr
  • Ride 2 (Wed): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. ½ hr.
  • Ride 3 (Sat): 13 km. Slightly more extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr.
Mostly in 42/15 gear on 6-er but I did need lower gears for a steeper climb than usual on Saturday's ride.

Success rate: 6 weeks out of 6.

18 qualifying rides so far this year. Total 254 km, of target 600 km (weekly target 100 km). Total ride time approximately 15¼ hrs.

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
W7R1 - Centurion 37 mins - local miles.
W7R2 - Centurion 33 mins - local miles.
W7R3 - Centurion 2 hours 56 mins - fast local miles in variable weather - started sunny & I stopped during the worst of the rain/wind -finished just after dark, dripping, but not from the rain (total 45.2 miles / 72.7 km plus less than 200m ascent)
pic - Every Sperm Is Sacred St (or very near neighbour), Colne
DSC_0732.JPG

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Three short rides for me this week. Monday, Saturday, Sunday.
Yesterday I specifically went out to photo some hazel tree flowers, I love tracking them down at this time of year. Most people know the catkins, but the flowers (female) are the tiny red ones above the catkins (male) in the photo, really easy to miss. These, when fertilized by the pollen from the catkins (must be from another tree) are what develop into hazelnuts.

20240217_140446.jpg

annedonnelly

I was just checking my hazel for any sign of catkins or flowers yesterday. Sadly nothing to see. It has had catkins in the past.

Anyway I managed three rides again this week! I nearly did a fourth but got distracted by the fact that a newspaper archive website has free access this weekend only.

Tuesday - trip to the far side of town to look for a new bed. Of course there's nothing available that fits my requirements - I hate shopping :sad: Took the scenic route back to prolong the ride. 40 minutes (including 5 minutes in the shop before I left in frustration)

Wednesday - ride down the coast to Seaton Sluice calling at the community centre to see what classes are available there. Extended with a visit to the park on the way back. 50 minutes

Sunday - along the coast and back. Didn't extend the ride as there were so many people out enjoying such a lovely day. I must get back into my routine of getting out earlier when places are quieter. Just as I got home I met one of the dog walkers who wanted to talk for ages so not sure how long the ride was. Definitely more than 30 minutes though.

Got a few busy days next week so I'll have to work hard to find time to get out.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Every Sperm Is Sacred St (or very near neighbour)
I last watched The Meaning Of Life about 20 years ago. I'll have to remind myself of that sketch...

Ah, I see what you mean! :laugh:

Week 7: 3 qualifying rides, 46 km, 2½ hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Mon): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr
  • Ride 2 (Fri): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. ¾ hr.
  • Ride 3 (Sun): 20 km. Lumpy local loop extended as far as Calderbrook, back via Summit. 1 hr.
All in 42/15 gear on 6-er.

Success rate: 7 weeks out of 7.

21 qualifying rides so far this year. Total 300 km, of target 700 km (weekly target 100 km). Total ride time approximately 17¾ hrs.

Top Bottom