Three Cheers for Dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
My eldest daughter was over yesterday. She come over every couple of weeks to shoot the breeze, and take the dogs for a walk. As regular followers of my ramblings know I have a field Labrador, but my daughter has a rather large Rottweiler who's name is "Bully" (because he's so clumsy he knocks over people, walls, furniture with his boisterous behaviour and to those that don't know him it looks like he's throwing his weight around - think of having a toddlers brain in Schwarzenegger s body).

Anyhoo, I digress.

She tells a good tale does my lass, and is a goo mimic of facial expressions and body language.

She was telling me she was walking Bully the other night when she stopped at her favourite bench for a vape and let Bully off the lead. He's a good dog, doesn't run off and was happy sniffing around behind the bench while my lass enjoyed her vaping.

Along comes a bloke who was obviously drunk and seemingly Scottish. He starts threatening my lass and getting in her face. She's black belt in TKD, Karate and kick boxing and was just considering slapping the guy and legging it, when Bully appeared and said through the medium of deep barrel chested doggy snarls something like, "on your way mush else you'll be needing an ambulance."

Said drunk man spots the large Rotty, voids his bowels, screams, and runs off at the road at impressive speed for someone so drunk. Alas, I can't translate the wonderful facial expression my lass recreated for me, but suffice to say there was a look of surprise and fear on miladdos fizzog.

So for protecting my lass I bought Bully a bag of pigs ears as a tasty treat. It's nice to have a dog who's gentle and playful and genuinely sweet, but who is also intelligent enough to know when something's not right and will then protect the pack.

Edit - apologies for the title, autocorrect thinks it know better than I do.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Edit - apologies for the title, autocorrect thinks it know better than I do.
You can edit it using a link in 'Thread Tools' above.

You can definitely sense that pack thing with well-behaved dogs. My sister's new dog took about 3 visits from me to stop seeing me as a threat. Now, she welcomes me as if she has known me all her life!

Last edited:

Jayaly

I had a wonderful dog like that years ago. He used to come with me when I had to do night noise measurements on the street because I could trust him to sit quietly and not get involved unless I was threatened. He'd let kids push him up a ladder and down a slide but break up family rough and tumbles and make it very clear to a stranger to back off if they crossed a line (including the other party on a bad date who wanted to say a much more intimate goodnight than I did - gooood dog). Other dogs I've had have tried but never quite had his knack for judging a situation. Ten years later I still miss him.

SD1

Ehmm English Springer Spaniel....."please stop your dog licking me and peeing on my feet"
"Only if you apologizes"
"I am so so sorry"

Top Bottom