Three days of Normandy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Having spend an inordinate amount of time looking at weather forecasts since the beginning of April, I'm rapidly concluding that perfection over three days just isn't going to happen. So I've pulled the trigger and bought my ticket.

Starting tomorrow, it's a simple enough idea: Day 1 - Gloucester to Portsmouth, overnight ferry; Day 2 - Ouistreham to Cherbourg, overnight ferry; Day 3 - Poole to Gloucester, bottle of wine. Using Brittany Ferries' day in France offer the total cost of the ferry crossings is £31. Provided I can get reasonable rest on the overnights it should be fun.

It looks as though I should get a helping breeze to Portsmouth tomorrow, some buffeting from the wind coming off the channel on Wednesday, and a lightish headwind on the way home on Thursday. But now that I've booked I've stopped looking at the forecasts. It's remarkably liberating. :smile:

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Cycling wise looks fantastic. Personally I would never do an overnight ferry without shelling out for a cabin, but I'm a softy.
In my experience, one thing a cabin doesn't do is guarantee a good night's sleep. However, it's somewhat academic as there was no cabin accomodation of any description available when I booked this morning. If that's an indication that the ferries are going to be busy I might not be very comfortable. Maybe I should chicken out.

More significantly perhaps, I needed the £31 to get this past the director of finance.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Think the OP did manage to hit "weather . . . perfection over three days".
Presumably your well on the way to Gloucester (Thu pm). How did it go?

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Think the OP did manage to hit "weather . . . perfection over three days".
Presumably your well on the way to Gloucester (Thu pm). How did it go?
Done! Finished at about 6:15 this afternoon.

I will attempt a proper write-up but that won't be happening this evening. The bottle of wine is proving far too seductive.

Yes, the weather was glorious, though the wind, as expected, was a little unkind. Particularly the strong "just east of north" as I tried to ride along the Utah Beach road yesterday afternoon, struggling to maintain a speed in double figures.

Apart from the said clock running extremely slowly, everything went like - clockwork.

Now for another glass of wine. :smile:

Top Bottom