Three Strange Things Related to The Current 100 Mile Time Trial Record ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Anthony.R.Brown

Anthony.R.Brown

Alf would of had these brakes & bars if they were around when he was riding :smile: and of course the RTTC would have again Banned them! :sad:

midlife

Guru
That’s just weird lol. ( the pic with the bars the wrong way round )

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You are missing the point! in Alf's day Safety was a big thing and stopped many riders doing lot's of things,now we have Tri bars all over the place,and even inexperienced children using them with out understanding that they should really be keeping their fingers,hands, close to the actual brake levers in case of an emergency reason to brake quickly! maybe this will change when the death rates go up ? along with how some TT courses do not exist anymore because of the amount of traffic.
Well that is exactly my point, things change and always will do. Although it is totally irrelevant, current levers have not been proven to be less unsafe than days of old, in fact I would much prefer current braking technology and materials than those in Alf’s day. Times change, just respect Alf’s achievements for what they were and don’t try to compare to today.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The comparison has already been done! using {MTAF} :smile:

I could have hardly missed it, as I am pretty sure you posted it 5 times or more! However, it does not make it anything other than a completely theoretical exercise that misses so many variables. It proves nothing which is not your models fault, it is impossible to compare riders.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Anthony.R.Brown why is this whole thing an issue now in 2021? I could understand it being worthy of debate in the 1960's and 70's when he was been kept out of the amateur cycling word or being unfairly treated on his return.

your MTAF stuff is quite arbitrary btw, comparison between era's in any sport is subjective, particularity in outdoor TT's on different courses in different weathers.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think he's Slovakian.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@Anthony.R.Brown why is this whole thing an issue now in 2021? I could understand it being worthy of debate in the 1960's and 70's when he was been kept out of the amateur cycling word or being unfairly treated on his return.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
People are forgetting that the {MTAF} is based on the same rider under the same conditions! so it's a more than a fair calculation as to just how much of an advantage Modern Technology has!
Its a reasonable approximation for illustration purposes only, but is only applicable to Chris Boardman and two particular bikes, and specifically a very special aero bike. differing people will get a differing advantage out of aero equipment and will generate differing levels of power in different body positions those machine dictate. Obree and Boardman were well matched, i'd wager if they had swapped bikes, both would have been far slower on the others bike.

BTW - Good luck with your age group record attempts, genuinely interested to know how you get on.

Top Bottom