Through Axle advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are stiffer, which is better when you've got disc brakes. I have known some QR secured wheels 'shift' when braking as the braking force is closer to the axel than rim brakes. It's usually badly tightened QR's though.

Be aware, don't go tightening them up with the force of Thor, some can break. Which type do you have - ones with a lever or ones that are hex key ? Just don't go over tightening them. Apply a slight coat of grease to the axel thread, and some on the axel itself and then carefully thread into the opposite fork/dropout. Don't go forcing it as this is where stuff can get expensive.

Oh and don't go forgetting the axel if transporting a bike - e.g. leaving it on the floor as you pop a bike into the boot of a car ! Double check. Actually same goes when doing maintenance, put the axel somewhere you'll find it ! :whistle:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
They mean the wheel can't fall out of the dropouts in the frame (because there aren't any), nor can it skew in the frame or indeed be subject to any alignment issues. They're generally considered to be better for use with disc brakes for this reason.

If you remove a wheel to transport the bike, you can always screw the axle back into the bike to keep it all together ;)

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have them on my Giant Defy Advanced. Lovely and simple, sturdy and all that. I have to check each time I set out that they are done up tight, as they can on occassion loosen a little.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've two disc braked equipped bikes, one with quick release and the other with thru axles.

The qr equipped bike is a faff and ball ache to reposition the wheels on and line up the disc centrally in the caliper.

The thru axle bike on the other hand is a dream, the wheel just slots back in place and lines up perfectly every time.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've two disc braked equipped bikes, one with quick release and the other with thru axles.

The qr equipped bike is a faff and ball ache to reposition the wheels on and line up the disc centrally in the caliper.

The thru axle bike on the other hand is a dream, the wheel just slots back in place and lines up perfectly every time.

Aye, I've found this setup on my Genesis to be very little trouble; I've not had any experience of discs with QR but can fully appreciate how it might be a nightmare!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hooray TA's finally gaining acceptance - Many thought they were uneeded Devil's Spawn when they first appeared on road bikes.

Just disc brakes to go. 🙂

As an aside whilst walking on Sunday out of 17 bikes that I saw, 12 were running discs.

OP
OP
Saracenlad

Saracenlad

Hooray TA's finally gaining acceptance - Many thought they were uneeded Devil's Spawn when they first appeared on road bikes.

Just disc brakes to go. 🙂

As an aside whilst walking on Sunday out of 17 bikes that I saw, 12 were running discs.

Must say that I was very apprehensive about the disc brakes on our new bikes. Totally unfounded as they are very, very good. Cannot fault them. Last ride was a very wet one and they were brilliant.

Top Bottom