Through Axle advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Are front disc brakes capable of locking the front wheel up whilst riding fast(ish) say around 20mph ?

If they are properly set up, and the pads aren't worn out, and you grab them hard, yes.

But they shouldn't normally unless you are REALLY panicking or the surface is loose or slippery.

I've locked the rear a few times, but there is only once I think I locked both wheels. And that was on a downhill, with a damp and slightly loose surface, doing somewhere around 18-20mph.

Are front disc brakes capable of locking the front wheel up whilst riding fast(ish) say around 20mph ?

I'd say yes but only the once...

notmyrealnamebutclose

If they are properly set up, and the pads aren't worn out, and you grab them hard, yes.

But they shouldn't normally unless you are REALLY panicking or the surface is loose or slippery.

I've locked the rear a few times, but there is only once I think I locked both wheels. And that was on a downhill, with a damp and slightly loose surface, doing somewhere around 18-20mph.

Not sure how my bike would cope going downhill fast with its dodgy rim brakes, plan not to find out :laugh:

OP
OP
Saracenlad

Saracenlad

Decided to check the through axles on our new bikes. Got a new torque wrench and did both front axles. Backed them off with 6mm key and tightened them back up to 10Mn. Great. I was surprised to find that the rear axles require a 5mm key. Any idea why?

Top Bottom