Through Axles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
As I have only used quick release wheels, I have not a clue about through axles; I have noticed that a lot of new new bikes have them. Without stating the obvious, it seems incredible that such an practical invention as the quick release is getting replaced, and are they not a pain to faff about with when you get a p*unctur* on the road ? Enlighten me good people.

13 rider

Guru
No great faff to remove or install , but what they do on disc brake set ups is align the disc rotor into the correct position each time . This is the probably reason for the change over as most new bikes come with disc brakes

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No great faff to remove or install , but what they do on disc brake set ups is align the disc rotor into the correct position each time . This is the probably reason for the change over as most new bikes come with disc brakes

indeed my qr disc bike is a pita to get right , it can even go out of shape riding if you catch a bump wrong as the pad clearance is so tight compared to caliper brakes .

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
So long as you don't forget to always carry a 6 mm allen key, through axles are just as quick as quick release.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
So long as you don't forget to always carry a 6 mm allen key, through axles are just as quick as quick release.

Through axle on one of my bikes has a handle on it so no allen key required.

1691267822353.png

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Plenty of frames come with thru axles plus levers, or the axles can be replaced (as long as the dimensions are right). My Litespeed had DT Swiss RWS axles, the Tripster has the Switch lever system (allen key fixing, the included Allen key doubles as a lever, just clicks on/off for storage or use).

D

Deleted member 121159

I like thru axles and I'm sure it's much better than qr levers in aligning the rotors, but I often find myself still having to micro adjust the calipers to fix rubbing after reinstalling the wheels. It'd be nice if someone solved this issue completely!

figbat

Slippery scientist
A through axle also (apparently) makes for a stiffer, more robust connect between the dropouts.

I’ve got QR, TA and nutted axles across my fleet - the QR is undoubtedly the quickest to remove but there’s little in it for refitting. A TA will go to the right place first time, whereas a QR can sometimes need fettling.

Top Bottom