Through Axles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have these and they are simply brilliant.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wheels-technology/rws-technology

Tighten up as required then pull the lever out slightly and rotate to desired position. Let go and they ping inwards and lock into place.

QR's are a PITA with discs due to reasons already mentioned in the thread.

I also don't like the way they dig into the dropouts.

Crude and old-fashioned technology.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As I have only used quick release wheels, I have not a clue about through axles; I have noticed that a lot of new new bikes have them. Without stating the obvious, it seems incredible that such an practical invention as the quick release is getting replaced, and are they not a pain to faff about with when you get a p*unctur* on the road ? Enlighten me good people.

No faffing. They're very simple to use and in my view far easier than QR axle to use. I have both the handled and the Allen key versions. The handled is excellent and for a disc bike brake superior to the fiddly QR system.

I've lost count of the number of QR springs I've lost.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
You just need to add a cordless drill with the appropriate Allen key fitting to your saddle bag kit to look really pro when changing a wheel 😂
This is a joke statement
No the cordless drill is a good idea , but too look really pro have a large estate car following with a spare bike .
(edit) just noticed Mike A beat me to it .

T4tomo

Legendary Member
indeed my qr disc bike is a pita to get right , it can even go out of shape riding if you catch a bump wrong as the pad clearance is so tight compared to caliper brakes .

Yes my rear one has been known to slip under load unless you get it at baby bear porridge tightness. Fortunately never had an issue with the front one. QR and discs are getting quite rare now on new bikes

Drago

Legendary Member
As I have only used quick release wheels, I have not a clue about through axles; I have noticed that a lot of new new bikes have them. Without stating the obvious, it seems incredible that such an practical invention as the quick release is getting replaced, and are they not a pain to faff about with when you get a p*unctur* on the road ? Enlighten me good people.

I got no issues with thru-axles, one of my steeds is thus equipped.

But then I have no issue with 9/10mm QR either, know how to use them and set them up and never had the tiniest issue with them.

This is good, because I have a choice either way.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Not if you have QR 'lawyer tabs' on the front!

File them off. The Halletts came without, I removed them from the others.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I used to have an MTB with discs and QR hubs. I left the lawyers' lips on that one. Once I'd initially sorted it I never had a problem with rubbing (it was a bitsa bike - new frame, new forks, most of the rest robbed off the old bent one).

Milzy

Guru

I like thru axles but I’ve noticed people on a ride have no clue & someone else fixes their puncture even though they’ve been cycling over 30 years. Embarrassing.

Top Bottom