Thrown off of the bus.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
According to TFL ''Folded bikes are accepted at the driver's discretion. The rules are the same for pushchairs and larger items of shopping and luggage.'' I tried to have my non folded bike and was told to leave. How annoying. I can not wait to get a folded bike though. Would you need a folded bike lock? Or just a normal lock?

Arch

Married to Night Train
According to TFL ''Folded bikes are accepted at the driver's discretion. The rules are the same for pushchairs and larger items of shopping and luggage.'' I tried to have my non folded bike and was told to leave. How annoying. I can not wait to get a folded bike though. Would you need a folded bike lock? Or just a normal lock?

A normal lock will do.

aoj

Bus driver wouldn't let me on with a scottish £5 note last week.

You don't need even a Scottish fiver in this part of Scotland.

Facilities for Cyclists
Aberdeenshire Council and Stagecoach Bluebird Bus Service are working together to provide a number of free bike bags on Royal Deeside bus services between Braemar and Aberdeen as part of an initial trial throughout the summer of 2011. The bags are heavy-duty polythene bags that will protect the bike and the bus and will be used to store bikes in the boot space.

I have friend who commutes into Aberdeen from Old Meldurm by road bike and returns at the end of a shift on the bus with the bike going for free.

PBancroft

Bus driver wouldn't let me on with a scottish £5 note last week.

Hmm... I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but...

They don't have to accept Scottish notes. Only Bank of England notes are legal tender in England and Wales, whereas Scottish notes are an accepted form of currency (in much the same way that credit/debit cards are not legal tender but can be used to pay for things). Even if they were legal tender there is no reason why the bus driver should have to accept it as payment - legal tender refers to payment of a debt, not for a new purchase.

Scottish notes are not even legal tender in Scotland (and neither are Bank of England notes for that matter) but banks across the UK will treat them as such. There's no requirement for a business to do so however.

Scottish banknotes are relatively rare south of the border, and many people won't be familiar with them enough to recognise when a note is not legitimate, and so not accepting them when unsure prevents them from becoming a victim of fraud. Frustrating and annoying for the customer of course, but understandable nonetheless I think.

EDIT: I should probably point out that I have had a Bank of England note refused in Scotland. It was a new design and the shopkeep was unfamiliar with it... so fair enough tbh.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Bus ! WOW ! I've not been on a bus since my last day of school in 1983.

I don't even know anyone that uses a bus.

I wouldn't even know what to say to the conductor if I got on a bus. Do you just hand over the money and say something, like where you're going ?

I do see people on buses from my van but I don't think I'd like to be in such a confined space with such people. Some of them look normal but most of them don't.

I live in the north but I bet public transport is horrendous darn sarth
ph34r.gif

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
I'd be tempted to wait there every morning - just to see if the same lady driver was driving and then casually hand her the info as you step on with your folder and look around for a suitable place to sit. :thumbsup:

I was going to say show her your letter but I missed the bus. HaHa

Isn’t it up to the bus driver if they want bulky items on their bus? – she might have seen the first lot of suitcases go on and thought that was enough for the luggage rack, or she might just be one of those bus drivers that hate cyclists

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hmm... I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but...

They don't have to accept Scottish notes. Only Bank of England notes are legal tender in England and Wales, whereas Scottish notes are an accepted form of currency (in much the same way that credit/debit cards are not legal tender but can be used to pay for things). Even if they were legal tender there is no reason why the bus driver should have to accept it as payment - legal tender refers to payment of a debt, not for a new purchase.

Scottish notes are not even legal tender in Scotland (and neither are Bank of England notes for that matter) but banks across the UK will treat them as such. There's no requirement for a business to do so however.

Scottish banknotes are relatively rare south of the border, and many people won't be familiar with them enough to recognise when a note is not legitimate, and so not accepting them when unsure prevents them from becoming a victim of fraud. Frustrating and annoying for the customer of course, but understandable nonetheless I think.

EDIT: I should probably point out that I have had a Bank of England note refused in Scotland. It was a new design and the shopkeep was unfamiliar with it... so fair enough tbh.

IIRC (which is probably unlikely) there are two types of service provider that do not have to accept legal tender anyway. These are bus drivers and pub landlords. Not having to accept legal tender mean they can ask you to leave the bus/pub without giving any reason whatsoever and if they do decide to provide a reason it does not need to be logical. You can be told to leave a pub just because the landlord doesn't like you.

Bus ! WOW ! I've not been on a bus since my last day of school in 1983.

I don't even know anyone that uses a bus.

I wouldn't even know what to say to the conductor if I got on a bus. Do you just hand over the money and say something, like where you're going ?

I do see people on buses from my van but I don't think I'd like to be in such a confined space with such people. Some of them look normal but most of them don't.

I live in the north but I bet public transport is horrendous darn sarth
ph34r.gif

You can tell its friday :tongue:

yello

Always the one out there. :rolleyes:

Isn't there though?

It's those jumped up little buggers that p*ss me off too! Think they know the rules and they don't. France is full of bureaucratic nonsense and you find many of these 'make it up as they go along' power crazed individuals. In all walks of life too, not just government offices. Give someone a green flag and a high-viz jacket and they're suddenly masters of the universe.

They love to exercise their authority and you can't argue with them. They know that. They may be wrong but they have the flag that says you have to listen to them. Crushing bores to a man... does my head in.

...and breath :smile:

yello

IIRC (which is probably unlikely) there are two types of service provider that do not have to accept legal tender anyway. These are bus drivers and pub landlords.

That's news to me. I thought legal tender had to be accepted by all.

You can be told to leave a pub just because the landlord doesn't like you.

That, I knew. And I think it perfectly acceptable!

Whilst someone might have to take legal tender, I don't think they are obliged to sell you something. If you see the difference.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Whilst someone might have to take legal tender, I don't think they are obliged to sell you something. If you see the difference.

Yeah I know what you mean but I think if you have a publicly visible tariff (ie price labels) and someone offers legal tender, you have to accept the contract of sale (I think). That's what makes bus drivers and pubs different, they have a public tariff but do not have to accept your custom.

Top Bottom