Thru Axle question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,

Question about the Thru Axle

When you assemble the bike and attach the wheels do you need to grease the whole Thru Axle ? If yes, please share what product do you use to grease the Thru Axles.

On the picture i have highlighted the area that needs to be greased or not?
Through Axle.PNG

Thanks!

I just lightly grease the whole lot with Molly grease.

Velochris

Über Member
I did not (unlike quick release ones). A pair of my Robert Axle Project ones still look like new despite three winters of use.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Tiniest dab of grease on the thread for me as it can sometimes feel a little squeaky screwing in and out, but I’m sure it’s not essential.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The thru axle doesn’t see any rotation or movement so lubrication is not really needed. Maybe a bit on the thread if you’re worried about removal but I install mine dry. Any grease on there is bound to pick up detritus.

Lookrider

Don't they not seize without grease ?
The front especially as you see it jacks the forks apart as you attempt to screw it out
I've had that happen and so read about it to others as well

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
A 'thru axle' is not an axle.

I know, it's confusing. It's a bolt, just like the good old QR, that applies clamping force to the wheel and does not come in contact with the actual axle in the hub.

No need to grease - at all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just keep it clean, especially the threads. Light grease on threads at most. Clean. These are generally made of cheese, be warned.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Obviously no need for grease, and the same goes for QR skewers, but people still used to grease them.

There is a need on the threads on a through axel, corrosion issues from less than keeping an eye on stuff (like most folk don't) qr skewers need grease on the skewer as they rust, but none anywhere else.

Top Bottom