Thru-axle road hubs - What's out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I'm struggling to identify hubs / wheelsets which are thru-axle compatible.

I believe I need hubs which are 12mm x 142mm rear and 15mm x 100mm front, with disc mounts (preferably Shimano spline pattern) and to take an 11 speed cassette.

Rims need to be 700c, capable of taking a tyre up to 35mm and preferably tubeless ready.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

lpretro1

Try the Hope CX wheels

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There are loads of through-axle wheelsets these days, and because of the multitude of 'standards' on disc bikes (QR, 12mm front axle, 15mm front..) the majority are adaptable out of the box or for a little more money. Pretty much every wheel brand and builder will have multiple options for you. Still very happy with my Mason x Hunt 4 Seasons (on which I am running 35mm tyres, coincidentally). Just Riding Along get good reviews (Dr Mekon over on YACF has a set and rates them), DCR have quite a few happy customers on here…

andrew_s

Legendary Member
There are loads of through-axle wheelsets these days, and because of the multitude of 'standards' on disc bikes (QR, 12mm front axle, 15mm front..) the majority are adaptable out of the box or for a little more money.
So there's no problem using a 15mm thru-axle hub in a frame with 12mm fork ends? Is it just a matter of getting a sleeve to put inside the hub?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
So there's no problem using a 15mm thru-axle hub in a frame with 12mm fork ends? Is it just a matter of getting a sleeve to put inside the hub?
Right thinking, wrong answer. At the least in the case of the Hunts, the QRs are 'standard', 12mm front adaptor in the box (was 15mm when I got mine, which I needed) & other adaptors optional. I think most manufacturers have gone the same way. You just make sure you get the right sizes in the first place & that's that.

Novatec d771/772 hubs can be converted to thru-axle;they are a bit noisy though,mine have been brilliant through rain and shine and Cambridgeshire pot-holes although they could probably do with a service.

lpretro1

No you need 12mm to match - you can't 'expand' a dropout

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
The requirement sounds exactly like my DT Swiss RC23 Spline DB.

Loudest hub I've ever heard, but thus far, they seem bomb proof.

Russell

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Have a look at Superstar components. They have a custom wheel builder option which allows you to mix and match hubs, rims, spokes etc to your own preference.

I've used them and was very happy with the result.... and even more happy with their customer service when the subsequent wheel developed a fault (which was a manufacturing defect with the freehub and not a build issue).

Top Bottom