Thumbs up for the Gore Phantom jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teuchter

Über Member
That's a great price for the Phantom. Had mine for a few years now and I also think it's an excellent jacket. Love being able to remove the arms for when it's cold but not that cold.

I've had issues with the black material on the edges coming loose in places on mine... around the edges of the pockets and at the bottom hem that I have re-sewed myself (fairly ineptly - I'll never be a tailor!). Apart from that highly recommended and I find it breathes far better than the "boil in the bag" Altura Nevis jacket I had beforehand and is passably waterproof for a windproof jacket. I will be buying the same again when it finally wears out.

It gets washed (occasionally) on a 40' wash with normal detergent... I bought it in grey in order to avoid it showing winter road grime!

Nocode

Wore my Phantom for the first time this morning as it was a little chilly. Obviously only limited experience so far, but was very happy - kept me nice and warm!

pac-man

Excellent, thanks :thumbsup:

Actually just read up on Windstopper fabric care, and it seems that it doesn't lose its' er, "windproof-ness" even after hundreds of washes. Good to know.
cheers... i was wondering how to wash my Phantom... then i stumbled across the thread.
anyone had experience with removing chain grease from a Phantom? Hi vis yellow, i dropped one of the sleeves when detaching from the jacket, while sat on the bike..

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
cheers... i was wondering how to wash my Phantom... then i stumbled across the thread.
anyone had experience with removing chain grease from a Phantom? Hi vis yellow, i dropped one of the sleeves when detaching from the jacket, while sat on the bike..
No idea... might be worth dropping Gore a wee support email if no-one can suggest a stain removal solution?

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Wore my Phantom for the first time this morning as it was a little chilly. Obviously only limited experience so far, but was very happy - kept me nice and warm!
Nice and warm here this morning too, despite it only being 1°C.... had my new DHB Pace Roubaix biblongs on (and base layer), and reckon that should be fine for the mornings where it drops down to a couple of degrees below freezing. Might need to be prepared to layer up some un-padded tights over the Roubaix longs though – they're my first ever DHB purchase, and whilst I think the fit and pad are superb compared to my previous experiences with Decathlon/LIDL-ware, they're not as toasty around the, er, nether regions as I had expected :whistle: Guess that's why there's "Super"-Roubaix.

Bugger, not waterproof - I wouldn't want a winter jacket that isn't!

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Bugger, not waterproof - I wouldn't want a winter jacket that isn't!
True, but it is showerproof, and kept me dry in a sustained 50-minutes of drizzle.

As yet I'm undecided on what to wear on proper torrentially rainy wet days – substituting the Phantom for my Altura Night Vision Evo is certainly a sensible option, but at the moment I've got my featherweight Tenn Vapor waterproof jacket stuck in the rucksack, which will layer nicely over the Phantom if it decides to start chucking it down :thumbsup:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've had mine for about 4 years.
It makes a good outer layer for cold weather (even very cold, with suitable layers underneath), but doesn't cope with proper rain
The reflective bits on the arms are in the right place when your arm is stuck out sideways indicating, but are wrong for extra reflectiveness when holding the bars. It depends what you want - I've got good lights, so it suits me.

Top Bottom