Thumbs up for the Gore Phantom jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jagman.2003

Über Member
Gore Phantom gets my vote. Has kept me warm on cold days with minimal layers. Kept me cool when I should start to overheat & resisted too much damp in heavy rain. Best bit of kit I have.

Bugger, not waterproof - I wouldn't want a winter jacket that isn't!
Sunday afternoon local folk said it was wet and windy I can't say I really noticed the Phantom performed well. On Tuesday night though I was in a bit more prolongue rain (that sticky stuff for want of a better word) for over an hour and a half. it was perfect up to about an hour then the arm suddenly went wet through, the body was fine though.

400bhp

Guru
I thought I would give an opposing view, just for balance. I have had the jacket for a couple of years and it is most definitely not breathable, ok compared with a plastic bag maybe. It is definitely very windproof, the reflective bits are all in the wrong place and the zips are a bit on the flimsy side. After saying all that it is a good jacket providing you are not working hard on the bike, my waterproof eVent cycling jacket is much more breathable. I have had several "soft shell" windproof jackets over the years and none of them have been breathable, not sure if it is possible with a soft shell and be totally windproof.

I was about to post something similar. I bought a Power SO around 3 months ago. It's simply too hot above 2 deg c (whn working moderately hard).

It isn't that much better than my Aldi softshell to be honest, just a better fit as far as I have been able to tell.

I was about to post something similar. I bought a Power SO around 3 months ago. It's simply too hot above 2 deg c (whn working moderately hard).

It isn't that much better than my Aldi softshell to be honest, just a better fit as far as I have been able to tell.
Correct, the slight problem on CC is the great diversity of types of riders there are when giving an opinion about something relating to cycling. Clothing is a prime example, I now have a fair idea of who to listen to for recommendations, it isn't that others are wrong, it is just that they ride in a different way, what is perfectly good for one will be boil in a bag for another irrespective of the quality of the garment.
I never wear more than 2 layers, either a short or long sleeved base layer underneath a windproof. Never isn't quite true, if I [we] are riding with someone in winter who is quite a bit slower then another layer might be needed.

U

User6179

Correct, the slight problem on CC is the great diversity of types of riders there are when giving an opinion about something relating to cycling. Clothing is a prime example, I now have a fair idea of who to listen to for recommendations, it isn't that others are wrong, it is just that they ride in a different way, what is perfectly good for one will be boil in a bag for another irrespective of the quality of the garment.
I never wear more than 2 layers, either a short or long sleeved base layer underneath a windproof. Never isn't quite true, if I [we] are riding with someone in winter who is quite a bit slower then another layer might be needed.

All waterproof jackets will be boil in the bag , never found a waterproof that wasn't but the ones with pit vents are better , for the record I have 3 Gore-Tex jackets of different type and a cheap berghaus jacket with pit vents which is better than them , I have two de marchi gore windstoppers which are excellent but not waterproof and recently bought altura varium but not tried it our yet , my problem in winter is not running cold but the opposite , unless it is pouring down I would say forget the waterproofs .

400bhp

Guru
T
All waterproof jackets will be boil in the bag , never found a waterproof that wasn't but the ones with pit vents are better , for the record I have 3 Gore-Tex jackets of different type and a cheap berghaus jacket with pit vents which is better than them , I have two de marchi gore windstoppers which are excellent but not waterproof and recently bought altura varium but not tried it our yet , my problem in winter is not running cold but the opposite , unless it is pouring down I would say forget the waterproofs .
The jackets TF and I are talking about are windproof but not waterproof.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My Gore Oxygen jacket is great if the temperature is 3 degrees or less with a single merino base layer. It is showerproof, very lightweight for a softshell and the cut is good on the bike. However above this sort of temperature and You will boil in it if you are riding at any reasonable intensity. You definitely learn what you should wear in different conditions and for me the Gore is for when it is very cold.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Hi guys,

I just took delivery of my Gore Phantom. I find the fit larger than I expected, but looking at the Gore product video, I think the fit is correct. Two questions though. Do people wear this without anything underneath as a long sleeve Jersey? That's got to be the ideal, and take the sleeves off when it warms up. I received mine too late for my club ride today, don't know if today would still be too warm for it?

Top Bottom