Thunderbirds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
carry on watching it?

I've not heard of that one.

Carry On Cleo's on ITV3 now though. :biggrin:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Am I alone in thinking it's a great remake, done with both affection and respect?
Totally enjoyed this. And, yes I do own the entire original DVD box set.
Yes, it's frantic. Most action based television aimed at a predominantly younger audience is by comparison to say, drama. Look how the rebooted Doctor Who took people by surprise in 2005, and the flak it picked up at the time.

I watched it and think you have to take it on its own merit rather than compare it to the original. I quite liked it. Is it wrong to say the new Lady Penelope is a bit of a babe? :wub:

Tin Pot

Guru
The original was shoot too. Why the nostalgia?

It was crap.

We didn't have much to choose from so we watched any old drivel.

As my friends mum exclaimed once "Jesus Christ, if they put a turd on the screen you'd watch that!".

The mental image of that kept me entertained for decades.

She was right.

I loved Mr Hanky, and even gifted him to a friend at Christmas.

It's not Thunderbirds anymore, When did brains get an indian acsent, And what happened to the strings.:laugh:

Allegedly the research showed that Indians have a higher level of education and more degrees per head than other nations, so the ethnic mix was added to

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I watched it up to the first break and gave up. Far too frantic, it seemed like every character had to be doing something at all times. The beauty of the original was the way it was paced to build tension, this one jumped around all over the place.
Yes, I agree. The original built up the tension nicely, but the new version is way too action-in-your-face for my liking. On the whole, it's nice to see it brought back for a new generation. I
I liked the visual gag involving:stop:(Spolier ahead...) Stingray allegedly John's favourite TV show. Although I initailly disliked the revamped TB2, it's growing on me, obviously inspired by a Hercules transport plane. I smiled at the palm trees flopping over when it took off...:smile:. The mix of CGI characters in a miniature environment takes a little getting used to (doors sometimes opened awkwardly on the model set to allow the charcaters to pass through etc), but it is definetly gives the show a unique style by making the environment seem more real rather than a purely CG one. The CGI itself is very good for TV and I liked the emphasis on the characters eyes, maybe another nod to the puppets of the original?.

Nice to see they took up on an old plot line from the original, that the Hood is actually TinTin's uncle. Although there's no TinTin in this one, her role is taken by a new female character. i also liked the nod of the hat to the original in the style of the end credits, sixties-style split screen with production credits on one side and colour-tinted production artwork on the other. And they did something in this one that I don't think the original ever showed - how TB2 retrieves TB4 and the pod. As a kid, I always wondered if the oceans of the world were littered with discarded TB2 pods:whistle:.

However, the music on the famous launch sequences jarred with the imagery. Instead of using the main theme to build up the scene, they had some awful rubbish. Ok, so we now have bigger budgets and can afford more original music ( Gerry Anderson shows nearly always used different arrangements of the main theme as incidental music :UFO is a good example, listen to the soundtrack and you get different versions on the main theme tune).But most of the music in the show was a bit b****ks. Hardly stirring stuff, just turgid. And do we really need Jeff Tracy (sampled original line?) saying 5...4...3...2..1 Thunderbirds are Go! at every launch??. That never happened in the original and is irritating. And the bit with Alan Tracy on his space jet-surfboard thing was a bit cringeworthy, but hey, if I was eight again I'd probably think it was cool:tongue:.

I Liked the New Captain Scarlet when it came out, so I'll stick with this new Thunderbirds to see how it develops. It has a good pedigree of people behind it (Weta Workshops etc), so I'm optimistic. Has potential to be a great show if they iron out the rubbish bits ....:okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was watching rise of the gaurdians, if it has to be make believe then it might as well be about .............ooh wait some of us still believe :okay:

Its started well with the original voiced countdown, but after that it went downhill.
Since when has Thunderbird 2 been all straight lines and jagged edges?

Anyway I suppose its not trying to appeal to me at the age of 46, but I tried it and after 10 mins thought I am getting too old for this sort of thing.

Went and put the old ones back on instead!

Top Bottom