Ti seatposts from China?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all. I'm considering buying a Ti seat pillar on a popular online auction site from vendors located in the Far East. Their prices are roughly half what a frame manufacturer's item might cost secondhand. Does anyone have experience of these types of Ti tube component sellers please? Are the seat posts likely to be of decent quality? Thanks

Sharky

Guru
I've bought wheels from China and they are good quality, but you can get charged for import tax/duty before the post office will deliver. So may not be the bargain it seems.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I bought a "J&L" Ti pillar for a Brompton. It was better-finished than a Brompton Ti post (no longer offered) but was alarmingly flexible. I never rode it in anger as I didn't trust it.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I bought a pair of Ti bottle cages from China off the bay a few years ago & they started to rust after a week or two :sad: so I'm wary nowadays. I was lucky, got my last Ti seatpost from Van Nic in the sale for about £40 iirc. I bought my Ti stem from Spa Cycles, some of their Ti components are good value, maybe worth a look at what seatposts they offer & see how they compare with the bay :okay:

OP
OP
C

coffeehound

Regular
Thanks for your replies, that's been really helpful. Hadn't thought about the duty / tax! That does make a difference to the equation.. What's the rule on that these days? Used to be about £15 price limit didn't it?

Ah J&L was one brand I was looking at. That's no good if you don't have confidence in the strength is it -- thanks for the warning.

Sorry to hear about your bottle cages, Soltydog -- is Ti meant to never rust? Good tips, thanks, will have a look. Thanks for that recommendation and link too, vickster :okay:

Mark pallister

Thanks for your replies, that's been really helpful. Hadn't thought about the duty / tax! That does make a difference to the equation.. What's the rule on that these days? Used to be about £15 price limit didn't it?

Ah J&L was one brand I was looking at. That's no good if you don't have confidence in the strength is it -- thanks for the warning.

Sorry to hear about your bottle cages, Soltydog -- is Ti meant to never rust? Good tips, thanks, will have a look. Thanks for that recommendation and link too, vickster :okay:
I’ve had stuff from China and never paid any taxes

OP
OP
C

coffeehound

Regular
@StuAlf -- so they're just putting out steel cages with a slap of Ti-coloured paint and calling them Ti?!

I’ve had stuff from China and never paid any taxes
That's a bit of a bonus. Wonder what the odds are? Prolly best to assume the worst as that's what I usually get :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
By the way, depending what your bike frame is made of, watch out for the Ti post seizing in place. I forgot to put the required copperslip on my Ti post and it is now completely stuck in my aluminium frame! (Fortunately, the post is at pretty much the perfect height. The only reason that I discovered that it is stuck is because I tried to adjust it by a few mm just to see if it made much difference.)

Top Bottom