tiagra 4700 or 105 5700 vs sram apex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am considering changing the shifters on my boardman from sram apex to 10 speed 4700/ 10 speed 105 as chain reaction have them for 102/105 for the shifters + a rear mech on top , with BC discount on top .

TBH i have never really got on with sram as i find shifting to an easier gear a bit hit and miss , maybe because i ride shimano claris all week on the commuter and im used to them and also i have to wear large size gloves so i guess it means i have large hands so i do find the shimano hood shape gives me a better hand position .

Has anyone any insights into the differences of the two systems ?, or is it a sidegrade not really worth doing ?

outlash

also available in orange
No real difference between Tiagra & 105, they both work perfectly well. Never used Apex so I couldn't compare. TBH, I'm of the opinion with groupsets is that if it works, then there's no real point changing (I'm here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress etc etc).

vickster

Legendary Member
105 aesthetically, cables routed like SRAM . Unless the new tiagra has lost the cables out of the side of the shifters

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

105 aesthetically, cables routed like SRAM . Unless the new tiagra has lost the cables out of the side of the shifters
the new tiagra has hidden cables like 105 .
Tiagra_03.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't expect to get much back. I don't get on with Shimano for the opposite reason, hood size and shape, just can't get the purchase on the brakes. I don't think I ever actually used the brifters to brake when I had the giant with Tiagra, on,y ever the cross levers

I don't have cross brakes on the carbon and happily brake on the brifters, although I can get sore hands braking on big hills (I'm a wuss) but that's probably as much strength and flexibility and dodgy upper limbs as hood shape
On the Genesis, I have cross brakes which I use in traffic but I'll brake from the brifters on emptier roads :smile:. Both now have rival

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
I recently changed from apex to 5800 on my CX team...considered tiagra but there's wasn't that much of a price difference 40 quid!...its so much better than apex far smoother

vickster

Legendary Member
I recently changed from apex to 5800 on my CX team...considered tiagra but there's wasn't that much of a price difference 40 quid!...its so much better than apex far smoother
Not really comparing like with like. I swapped from apex to 11 speed rival which is 105 equivalent and found the same

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

It would be 5700 the 10 speed 105 if i went for 105 which is more likely as tiagra is out of stock now :sad: .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

It's worth doing if you can't get on with the SRAM way of shifting. Which is a perfectly good reason.
I think for now i will try to get on with the sram shifters, seems im looking to spend money and gain no benefit , it might be more a case that i just need to ride it more !

Top Bottom