Tiagra groupset, largest (smallest?) usable cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Morning folks,
My Btwin bike has a typical 10 speed Tiagra 4700 groupset with compact crank. I'm thinking of putting an alternative cassette on a spare rear wheel for the very hilly stuff; The current setup is an 11-28 cassette, I've got an 11-32 cassette which I'm hoping I can use... the bloke in the LBS reckons this won't work (he thinks max I'd get away with on a compact crank is a 30 which aren't that easy to come by plus buying another cassette - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-primato-10-speed-cassette-shimano-1/).
Bearing in mind "bloke in LBS" has been wrong about (lots of) things I've asked him, is there a hard & fast rule on compatibility of cassettes / groupsets?

TIA

EDIT - crank a red herring? Rear mech / chain length the issue?

ANOTHER EDIT - does this suggest compatible? http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2.0?cid=C-544&acid=C-256

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
It'll depend on your rear derailleur cage. If you have the GS (Long Cage version) it'll take up to a 34t with the possible need to make an appropriate adjustment of the B-tension screw. If you have the SS cage, then he's probably right, you would likely get away with a 30t, despite the shimano docs saying 28t max. The same holds for the long cage too though btw, you'll likely get away with a 36t sprocket instead of the 34t max.

A relatively easy way to tell which derailleur you have is to look at the cage, if there is an inch or more of space between the teeth of the jockey wheels then you have the long cage. Otherwise you have the short cage.

A long cage derailleur is about £25 or so anyway, so not the end of the world if you replace your derailleur.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Last edited:
OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
Back
I bought one from the far east on ebay not long ago, no problem.

Back in stock today, ordered one from SJS but might pick up a spare off ebay to see how they compare - odds on they're identical!

Checked the RD, looks like it's the long cage (big gap between the jockey wheels) so I should be covered whatever.

Many thanks for your help all!

Top Bottom