Tiagra hydraulic shifter/brake set swap.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ok you clever bargain finders, here's a challenge/question for you.

The commute bike I have been using since late 2018 runs Tiagra 2 x 10spd shifters and mechanical TRP Spyre disc brakes. These are good, but not hydraulic brilliant which is what I have grown used to over the last decade or so on my other bikes. There's a few niggly issues that are starting to add up and I'm thinking about swapping out the shifters and calipers to the full hydraulic set-up which will then make the bike effectively perfect and complete, spec wise.

What am I missing? I can get the Tiagra stuff for £350 HERE but this feels a bit on the expensive side to me for what you get, especially when I then see I can get a 105 hydraulic groupset for only £450 HERE which suddenly makes the tiagra shifter/caliper set seem extortionately priced!

I don't want to move to 11spd as the 10spd just seems so perfect for the job and I have some stock of spares/consumables for the 10spd, but at this price it would almost be stupid not to make the change given the bundle of components that come with the 105 group. Even just the chain and BB would be £30-40 to buy.

Other than the cranks being a bit on the short side, what is the catch?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There is this bit in the 105 description that may be the reason

(Please Note: The brakes within this groupset are set up to European standards with the left-hand lever operating the front brake and the right-hand lever operating the rear brake. For UK customers and other parts of the World, you will need to disconnect the brake hoses and swap them over.)

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not a "full" 105 groupset, but is still pretty comprehensive and includes the entire geartrain so that isn't bad.

I too like 10 speed (and Tiagra too, suits my large hands), finding it as I do the sweet spot, so would probably suck it up and go for the Tiagra gear. That said, an extra 100 sheets isn't a lot really and would look blingtastic. A tricky decision indeed.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do they have the correct crank and cassette set up fior you? If not, will you need to spend more money, eg an 11 speed 11-32 cassette is generally north of £50 (although you could potentially recoup a few quid selling the one with the set). Also, is it flat mount callipers you need (not sure if it makes a difference though)?

(If I liked Shimano) I'd get the 105 but bear in mind if it's for commuting, 11 speed chains and cassettes cost more than 10

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I recently bagged a couple of HG500 cassettes for £15ea so yes, 11spd is certainly not as cheap for consumables which is part of the reason I am hesitant to move away from 10spd. At least it is flat mount which is what I need.

I just feel that the Tiagra stuff is artificially priced at the moment, perhaps due to popularity (for the reasons above) but I expect the market is moving and the more realistic price of below £300 can't be far away?

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm interested in the answers to this; my main bike has 2 x 9 Sora and I'd like to change to hydraulic brakes. The route I have been planning is Tektro hydraulic brakes with bar end shifters, or venture into the world of Microshift, Ali Express, etc.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm interested in the answers to this; my main bike has 2 x 9 Sora and I'd like to change to hydraulic brakes. The route I have been planning is Tektro hydraulic brakes with bar end shifters, or venture into the world of Microshift, Ali Express, etc.

yes I have an old pinnacle arkose gravel bike, that was "built to a budget" I think it was £999 aimed at CTW (albeit i bought it 2nd hand) It has TRP Hylex hydro brakes which don't come with intergrated gear shifters, so has a microshift bar end 1x10 set up. Works well.

Alex321

Veteran
I recently bagged a couple of HG500 cassettes for £15ea so yes, 11spd is certainly not as cheap for consumables which is part of the reason I am hesitant to move away from 10spd. At least it is flat mount which is what I need.

I just feel that the Tiagra stuff is artificially priced at the moment, perhaps due to popularity (for the reasons above) but I expect the market is moving and the more realistic price of below £300 can't be far away?

Well Merlin are claiming the Tiagra stuff to be 27% off list price, while Wiggle are claiming 43% of list price for the 105 stuff.

If you could find somewhere selling the Tiagra with as big a discount, it might seem more attractive.

But I suspect there are simply more of the 105 groupsets around, so more likely retailers are to discount further,.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
What about a cable actuated hydraulic caliper? Supposed to be better than cable actuated. Not quite as good as full hydraulic but cheaper and no need to change your brifters.

Top Bottom