Tiagra identify

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
IV just arranged to buy a bike off my mate ,it's got tiagra shifters crankset and derailleur but no wheels fitted ,however he has loadsa wheels (his house is like a bike scrapyard) and IV just to pick wheels for it ,I had a quick look and he has loadsa wheels Thatl fit but is theyr any way of knowing what wheel / cassette combo (8-9 speed or whatever)I need ,it's an older Cannondale aluminium frame and gear cables come out side of shifters, how do you identify them ,is there a model number to look for

Can your "mate" ID the right wheels?
If not, do we get commission on the sale for any advice?

Look for the model number on the shifter lever or rear derailleur and a quick google search should let you know what year model the groupset belongs to. If it's recent it will be 10 speed, but I don't think the 10speed had the cable come out of the side, the last one was 9spd. if it's ancient, all bets are off! If it's indexed and not resistance (I don't know if older models came with resistance shifting), count the clicks of the right lever (assuming it's a UK setup)? Alternatively, look up the bike model and year and see what it was sold with?

Last edited:

monkers

Veteran
Tiagra 4400 & 4500 were both 9 speed with side exit cables.

Tiagra 4600 was 10 speed with side exit cables.

Tiagra 4700 is 10 speed with no side exit cables.

Tiagra 4700 shifters are compatible with 4700 rear derailleurs only due to a different pull ratio to other group sets.

Well, I think that's right. :blush:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
refuse to leave his gaff / part with the cash until he's fitted the wheels and made sure the gears work and are properly indexed.
Sorted!

si_c

Guru
Basically any wheel with an 8-10 speed Shimano freehub on it will do, you'll need to check which shifters they are so you can get the right cassette.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
Yeah it's caad8 tiagra 10speed ,it says it on it ,didn't even notice🙄it needs forks ( IV got a carbon set from a trek ,I think theyl b ok eh?when I removed Cannondale forks ( broken) it was just bearings in a cage and the trek ones were the same so I take it they are compatible ,both were carbon with alloy steerer,is it just case of regreasing bearings and refit

Top Bottom