Tick...tick...tick - unh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Anyone have any idea what could be causing a regular tick...tick...tick noise emanating from - as best I can make out - somewhere around the bottom bracket area. It happens only when I'm working hard - climbing a steep slope, eg. I thought it must be something to do with the bottom bracket, but by the time I'd got the cranks off this weekend, the axle seemed to be revolving so sweetly, with no 'give' at all, and certainly no trace of grittiness or anything like that, that I pretty much ruled that out. But could it be that? Or what? Any suggestions much appreciated. (It doesn't seem to interfere with anything, so far as I can tell, but it's slightly irritating - more importantly, I don't want to just ignore something that's causing damage.)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Shoe laces maybe ??

betty swollocks

large member
Does the regular ticking get faster or slower in relation to your speed?
Does it happen both when you're sitting and out of the saddle. If not, which?

llllllll

Not sure you can discount the BB just because it's fine with no cranks on. If it's only ticking when you're pushing hard, then you'll struggle to put enough force on it to replicate the ticking without the cranks.

Pedals would be another area to check.

02GF74

Über Member
does sound like bottom bracket. sometins you can feel the roughness, sometiems not., sealed bb cannot be repaired so replacement is your only option. if the noise does not go away, you have a spare for when the bb goes.

Shaun

Founder
I once had a bottle holder that ticked as I rode along. One of the allen bolts was loose.

Took me ages to figure it out!!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks for all suggestions. I'm pretty sure it's nothing 'dumb' - ie, shoelaces, zippers or the like. Not that I'm suggesting the suggestion's at all dumb - I once had a squeak that was driving me nuts till I figured out it was my left shoe. But no, I don't think it's that. I'm pretty sure it's not pedals knocking or spokes tinking either. Don't know whether it happens when I'm standing up - I never do. I'll try to remember to try and see if that makes a difference. I'm tending back towards thinking BB - partly I'm shying away from it because I have a feeling it's going to be a bugger to service: French for starters. But I might have to bite the bullet...

Thanks again - any more advice gratefuly received.

softpeadals

Try backing the brake pads off a tad.
The fact that it only happens when you are working hard suggests it could be frame flex or wheel flex which might cause the seam in the rim to catch on the pad.
Also check the chain for distorted side plates or a link pin standing proud of the plate catching on the front changer, again possibly only noticable when the frame flexes.

Top Bottom