Tick...tick...tick - unh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
It took me sometime to find that a similar tick was the cable end from the front deraileur hitting the right crank arm. Other ticks have been; loose magnet hitting a spoke, magnet touching sensor, seat post needed cleaning, pedal bearings starting to fail.

Bigtallfatbloke

I had a similar issue. I sprayed lots of wd40 into the pedal cranks where they screw in and it went away....when it come back after severla months I spray again

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks again for all ideas. You'll never guess....it's stopped. Just like that. I was all ready to stand up on the pedals 'n that, but I didn't need to. It just...stopped. (This after a week of ticking.) Weird. When it comes back, I'll be coming back to your tips, so thanks again.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i had a similar sound. turned out to be my cleat when fixed in my pedal. really fecking annoying. the lads in the shop thought so too, after i told them... after they had stripped my bike down and put it back together ;) lots of lube spray on the pedal sorts it.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It wasn't something on the tyres. I'm pretty sure it was either the BB or a pedal p- and from earlier messages, if it does come back, the first thing I'll try is substitute pedals.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I had an annoying creak/tick on my MTB. Tried everything and couldn't eliminate it - thought it was coming from the BB area.

Turned out it was the front suspension fork. Something inside was sticking / rubbing as the fork compressed and uncompressed with the force of my pedalling. Lots of WD40 sprayed into the fork seemed to fix the issue.

bobg

Über Member
Does it do it when you freewheel? I was getting similar today and it turned out to be a tiny imperfection on one of the chain rivets. Didnt do it all the time or in all gears strangly enough.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Another click-free day. But to answer a couple of questions...yes, it was regular - one click per (cranks) rev, and no, it didn't click freewheeling - only when pedaling, and only when pedaling hard - up steep hills, eg. But like I say, it's been silent for the last couple of days. Fingers crossed...

threefingerjoe

Über Member
One more possibility: Chainwheel flexing under hard pull. It can be just enough to let a chain link strike the side of the front derailer. Yes, the fact that it happens with crank rotation and not wheel rotation is an important clue. If this is the source of the noise, sometimes just a little tweak of the front derailer adjustment can cure it. Make sure all the bolts holding the chainwheels are tight, and that there are no cracks in the chainwheels. These kind of noises can be difficult to locate.

Danny

Legendary Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']Another click-free day. But to answer a couple of questions...yes, it was regular - one click per (cranks) rev, and no, it didn't click freewheeling - only when pedaling, and only when pedaling hard - up steep hills, eg. But like I say, it's been silent for the last couple of days. Fingers crossed...[/quote]

OK - now I've got your click. It seems to have started just when your's stopped. Could it be catching?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've got one. it is the opposite of yours, noticeable when cycing normally, but disappears when honking up the hills or speeding along on the rivet.

went straight to lbs yesterday after the club run, he inspected/rode it, and reckoned it was "just one of those things", with nothing actually failing/on verge of failing.

as the bike is getting stripped down with arrival of new wheels, i'm hoping that will sort it out.

Top Bottom