Tick-tock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gummo

I've suddenly got a loud tick-tock from my rear wheel - only when I'm sitting on it ped - happens whether I'm pedalling or not.
It doesn't happen when I get off and spin the wheel.

Any ideas (it's embarrassing - like the crocodile in Peter Pan).

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I had a similar ticking noise from my back wheel, I tightened up a couple of spokes that felt a little looser than the rest, this stopped the annoying tick.

pawl

Legendary Member
I had a similar ticking noise from my back wheel, I tightened up a couple of spokes that felt a little looser than the rest, this stopped the annoying tick.

I had the same experience due to loose spoke in the front wheel.Took some time to locate the source.Once found a quick tweak with the spoke key problem solved.

OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

Comrades, in the process of checking the spokes, I've noticed an ominous split in the rim itself - looks like I need a new wheel?

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_191454.jpg
    IMG_20200120_191454.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200120_191505.jpg
    IMG_20200120_191505.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

The wheels are marked as Giant S-R2. I've spotted a new pair on eBay - never having bought a wheel before, please tell me how I'd know if they'd be compatible with my cassette. What about diameter?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Share the number of sprockets on your cassette. Compatible if 8-10.
Disc brakes or calipers?
What's your front rim like? Has it got a number on it? eg 622-17
Are your current hubs Tiagra (eg HB-4500 (front))? They have residual value - do not throw away.
Size/diameter - you need 700c or also known as 622 (which is the number of mm the wheel(rim) is, in diameter).
Width of tyre (also has 622-xx number on it)?
"WheelsetGiant S-R2 alloy rimsShimano Tiagra hubs 8/9/10 speed compatible
"Giant P-R3 tyres 700 x 25cinnertubes and reflectors included
"Approx weight 3.10kg complete
"Brand new , never used"
Tiagra hubs very dependable and serviceable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

Share the number of sprockets on your cassette. Compatible if 8-10.

Disc brakes or calipers?
Calipers

What's your front rim like? Has it got a number on it? eg 622-17
622x15

Are your current hubs Tiagra (eg HB-4500 (front))? They have residual value - do not throw away.
Says 'Giant' on the specs list.

Size/diameter - you need 700c or also known as 622 (which is the number of mm the wheel(rim) is, in diameter).
I use Schwalbe Marathon tyres: 32-622 28x1.25 700x32C

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you want to run 32mm wide tyres, it is worth getting wheels (rims) which are at least 622-17 (the '17' is the internal rim width). Sheldon's rule of thumb is 'tyre width no more than twice internal rim width'.
All (more or less and this millenium) 622 / 700c wheels will have a freehub which can take a 10sp cassette (11sp freehub will require a spacer for the 10sp cassette to fit.
Is there writing on the front hub (or rear hub); never mind what it says "on the specs list"? Shimano (and some other hubs) have residual value.

Top Bottom