Ticking / Clicking noise when pedalling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Thanks. Can I ask what makes you believe it's 110mm? I was trying to find out and couldn't.
Agree with RebornBumbler,

I replaced the bottom bracket on my Felt F95 with a Shimano UN55 (68mm shell, 110mm axle). It's a quality unit in my opinion, for a ridiculously low price. I paid £9.49 from Wiggle..........but ended up buying a cheap water bottle to take the order over the magic £9.50 free postage threshold.

As long as you've got a BB removal tool and a crank extractor in your tool kit (which I imagine you will have) replacing the unit is easy. Whip the cranks off, remove the non-drive side BB cup first, then the unit itself from the drive side. Inspect the threads in the BB shell on the frame and clean as necessary. Grease the threads on the BB unit and the cup, install drive side first, then wind in the cup. Re-fit cranks, having applied the thinnest smear of grease to the BB axle flats and tighten with an 8mm allen key. Make sure it is tight! Re-check the crank bolts after the first ride, as the cranks will "bed-on" to the axle and will definitely need re-tightening. In fact, make sure you take an 8mm allen key with you on the first ride after fitting the new BB just in case.

Good luck matey. Any problems, just get back on here.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks.

I have ordered the 68-110 BB-UN55 (I'll send back if it happens it's the wrong length), a long arm 8MM allen key (as mine is only about 6 inches long I don't think my weak arms will get the leverage, but this will fit in my saddle bag if my Multi Tool doesn't have an 8mm) and some grease.

Total price £20 from Chain Reaction Cycles. Something tells me the LBS would charge £20 for the BB alone as that's the RRP, and I need to start to learn to do some stuff myself!

Edit: Spotted that British Cycling now do 10% off at Chain Reaction, although it's a one off apparently but I don't use them much so I may just use that too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom