Tightening athena brake levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wmark

Hi, Could someone tell me how to tighten campag athena brake levers, which are a little loose on bars. I'm that old that I used to have the single levers which tightened by inserting an allen key, but I know there's other stuff going on inside there now, and am frightened I damage internal mech by poking around. I realise my ignorance may make some chuckle, but I'm happy to accept some ridicule in exchange for some sound (idiots guide style) advice. Thanks, Mark:blush:

GrasB

Veteran
IIRC, you pull the top of the hood away from the handle bars & there's an allen bolt to tighten there.

onlyhuman

You mean tightening the clamp that secures the lever assembly to the handlebars? I did mine by rolling the rubber hood down from the top and up from the bottom, and inserting an allen key. When I'd done it once and knew where the allen key needed to go, I could do it just by sliding the allen key under the rubber hood. A long allen key would help. I didn't like rolling the hoods up, it seemed likely to tear them. That's all I know.

woohoo

Veteran
If it is the new Athena (11 speed), then you'll need a torx key for the bolt. IIRC, Campag switched to torx bolts for all of the newer Ultrashift levers (certainly the case with my Campag Ultrashift Centaur levers).

OP
OP
W

wmark

Thanks Woohoo, The sets 9 spd, so should (hopefully) be OK.

Sorry, daft question time, what's IIRC?

woohoo

Veteran
In that case it's an allen key.

IIRC = If I Recollect Correctly, or a variation thereof. In this case, I tried to get the details from the Campag site but couldn't see anything about the change to torx and due to advancing years :tongue: ,I can't remember where I read it (although I know that it certainly applies to the new Centaurs.)

Will1985

Über Member
To elaborate on woohoo's post (for those searching in future), it is a Torx T25 in pretty much the same place as before under the hood for UltraShift levers.
The C+ workshop article in #229 is all about tweaking the latest Campag offerings.

OP
OP
W

wmark

IIRC ....... very good, here's me thinking it's ? ? Road Club! I'll add it to IMHO and LOL

Can't believe how nice, and helpful, people are on here. Thanks again to all.

Top Bottom