Tightening Cones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
I've got a lot of lateral play in my rear wheel - probably caused by bumping up kerbs - and now want to tighten the cones to eliminate this. Only problem is I don't actually know what I'm doing! Using the picture below, I'm thinking that the part labelled 2 is what i need to tighten but not sure if this is correct and also whether it should be anti or clockwise. Also did read somewhere to beware tightening the cone against the bearings (part labelled 3?) in case of ruining them. In summary, which part do I put the spanner on and which way do I turn it?
NB - The photo I labelled as 1 2 and 3 won't load up so will now try one not labelled, but if we go from the top it's 1, 2, 3 - 1 being the chunky nut, 2 being the nut in the middle, 3 being the round cylinder which I imagine is the bearings.
20180902_085907.jpg
20180902_085907.jpg
just to be as clear as mud.

D

Deleted member 1258

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There are no reverse threads, undo the nut 1 a fraction until you can turn nut 2 inwards a quarter turn then holding it still with a spanner tighten nut 1 against it, check for play. It may take a few attempts to get the cones just right though.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thanks everyone! Done it. Probably needs some fine tuning
If it's just right when you spin the wheel, holding the QR on either side manually, then you'll likely find that, once back in the drop outs, the hub's a bit too tight once the necessary compressive stress of the QR lever has an effect. 1/4 to 1/8 turn loosening should do it (which is then 'tightened' by the QR lever).

Top Bottom