Time for a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

Attachments

• Mekk-Primo-6-2-105-2015-Road-Bikes-Black-Green-SpecialBuy-640-B15PRI26GB48.jpg
    Mekk-Primo-6-2-105-2015-Road-Bikes-Black-Green-SpecialBuy-640-B15PRI26GB48.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 53

Cyclist33

There was a thread on this bike recently, opinion was divided on the looks, personally I think it looks great, anyway it's a good bike, I chatted to a mekk owner last year happy bunny, I'm sure it'll go like the proverbial off a shovel so the key questions are, will you get the right size and can you get better for less?

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Does worry me about sizing as when i brought my specialized tri-cross i was just between two sizes but as it was from a LBS had the option of trying both frame sizes but obviously don't have that luxury ordering online although wiggles size tables look quite good as a guide to get the right size. Looking to take the tri-cross on as a winter bike as ride that all year in all conditions and the disc brakes are great in the rain. Looking for a new summer race / sportive bike (ok technically know its two different styles of bikes but can't afford both mores the pity :-() after doing a couple last year looking for something with lighter frame and upgraded groupset etc. to enjoy organised events all the more.

jack smith

Veteran
Personally for 2k i wouldnt want shimano 105 on my bike. For 2k You could buy a full dura ace mechanical group or ultegra di2 for a grand and spend the rest on a carbon frame and wheels and have money spare.

Tojo

Über Member
Personally for 2k i wouldnt want shimano 105 on my bike. For 2k You could buy a full dura ace mechanical group or ultegra di2 for a grand and spend the rest on a carbon frame and wheels and have money spare.

I agree. then you'll get exactly what you want, if you get one off the shelf as it were you'll always want to change some of the components, get all the bits and build it around your chosen frame, it's also a lot more rewarding doing it that way......you built it :notworthy:

young Ed

Veteran

I agree. then you'll get exactly what you want, if you get one off the shelf as it were you'll always want to change some of the components, get all the bits and build it around your chosen frame, it's also a lot more rewarding doing it that way......you built it :notworthy:
whilst this is the ideal route really and especially at this budget, we have to remember not everyone has the skills/knowledge and/or tools to build up a bike. although your LBS would be happy to do that part if you aren't capable

but as said, even though this is a great frame and wheels etc and by the looks of things it ought to be very light weight i would want ultegra (probably electronic so UI2) or mechanical durace for £2,000
Cheers Ed

vickster

Legendary Member
Overpriced (and ugly IMO), get a 2014 model if you're planning on buying online. Decide which brands you like, and then see what's out there

That said, you won't see many on the roads (unlike Specialized, Giant, Trek, Cannondale etc)

I wouldn't spend £2k on a bike I couldn't sit on, let alone ride

Cyclist33

if youre dead set just study the geometry charts and work out any adjustments and check the measurements, at the end of the day its quite simple maths. you can always play tunes with the stem length and so on. it doesnt cost a lot, 20 quid for a longer or shorter stem when you

How much money spare?

Cyclist33

It looks to me like the drivetrain has been set at 105 ish foe the price point and more of its budget has gone on the wheels. They retail at over 700 quid.

This is unusual as most suppliers put shite wheels on so they can entice desperate buyers with the top gearing parts. I would much rather pay for better wheels than better gearing and let's remember that current 105 is just an earlier form of dura ace in real terms.

jack smith

Veteran
@Cyclist33 it totally depends on what spec you want to go for, you could blow the budget on fancy carbon bars and stem ect if you want but you could easily get Alu bars just as good and save yourself a a few hundred

jack smith

Veteran
Unless you go used and get a full top drawer frame with dura ace for a grand... I'm sure it could be done! If anyone fancied giving me a grand to try in open to donations! :laugh:

Top Bottom