Time for a new rear mech.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
No it didnt snap at the limit screws...I thought it was just the cage that was bent, but closer investigation reveals:

DSC01316.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01315.jpg

Bonj, The inference from your linked item is that the body of a mech can fail suddenly though...do you think this could have happened here, allowing the cage to go into the spokes thereafter?

bonj2

possibly... madison aren't particularly interested though.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
What's the biggest sprocket you have successfully run with a Shimano long cage "road" rear mech? Tiagra/105/Ultegra?

All the tech docs say 27T is biggest. I'm thinking a 28T ought to be possible as I've read there is always a bit of margin. Anyone tried a 32T?

Obviously it will depend a bit on what's at the front....I'm running the usual Shimano 52-42-30 triple at the moment, but will replace the rings with something a little smaller eventually (although doubtless with the same 22T spread)

Don't get me wrong, I know I can do a bigger range with an MTB mech, I'm just curious to know how far I can "push" a road mech.

bonj2

porkypete said:
and no comeback on LBS either, I bought it from private Ebayer.

with the one I had that broke, I had no comeback from the LBS either even though I bought it from an LBS - they said they'd send it back to madison, rang up a few weeks later,they said madison had said they'd come to the conclusion it had 'taken a knock'.

Top Bottom