Time for another Linux thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well, I’ve got a Homburg on my CD. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm running Linux Mint on my desktop, I tried Linux Fedora but didn't like the Gnome desktop and I'm running Mint with the LXDE desktop.

bladderhead

Don't fanny about with Mint or Fedora or any other bullshit. There is only one. Slackware. You can be root. I always am. And you can actually turn off X. None of that daft Xterm and sudo rubbish. And you can directly edit all the config files. With vi. And what is so terrible about LILO anyway?

Ubuntu? Don't get me started.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Don't fanny about with Mint or Fedora or any other bullshit. There is only one. Slackware. You can be root. I always am. And you can actually turn off X. None of that daft Xterm and sudo rubbish. And you can directly edit all the config files. With vi. And what is so terrible about LILO anyway?

Ubuntu? Don't get me started.

If there was one thing I learnt from my running club, no matter how tough or mad you are, there's always someone tougher or madder.

tyred

Legendary Member
Pah, new fangled rubbish. Install a proper operating system.
Windows_3.1_Floppy_Disks.jpg

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
My daughter is going overseas for a class and needs a laptop.... I only had an old one (still 4GB or RAM dual core, so workable). I just installed Zorin OS lite on it, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprized. It really is closer to Windows look and feel and I think a nice intro for someone who is used to Windows working on a Linux machine.

I haven't got a favourite Linux flavour -currently working with CentOS. Have used various flavours previously. Never used Mint though.

zorinos.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

My daughter is going overseas for a class and needs a laptop.... I only had an old one (still 4GB or RAM dual core, so workable). I just installed Zorin OS lite on it, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprized. It really is closer to Windows look and feel and I think a nice intro for someone who is used to Windows working on a Linux machine.

I haven't got a favourite Linux flavour -currently working with CentOS. Have used various flavours previously. Never used Mint though.

View attachment 470197

I haven't come across that one before, looks good.

keithmac

Guru
Pah, new fangled rubbish. Install a proper operating system.
View attachment 470192

Nah, Commodore Amiga 500 with Workbench 1.3 is where it's at!.

Amazing what you can do with 512kb of memory when you put your mind to it!.

Always amazes me these days with Windows how they just expect you to buy a new machine every year because they can't be bothered to code properly!.

Never tried Linux but it's on my to-do list..

Interestingly you still needed a very potent machine even a few years back to "emulate" an Amiga properly, the golden time of computing imho.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Another Linux Mint user here. It's been a while since I installed it on my main desktop PC at home, but I just checked the dates on some folders under the root, and they say Sep 2016. Apart from a few occasional annoyances, it just works. Of course, it helps to be a software engineer by trade, when those annoyances arise.

Top Bottom