Time of year for muppets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I seem to be meeting a few of these muppets at the moment. Maybe it is the change in the weather, something to do with the holidays? I'm not sure. But this muppet was particularly threatening until I pointed out the camera. He still suggested that I switch it off and we go around the corner. Hey ho.

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3VegjvphKw[/media]

Hard to tell whether the pass was close from your footage. I don't doubt it was as you wouldn't have posted if it wasn't. But I have to say Mags you do wind 'em up ...........................

Perhaps you should have propped your bike against the railings at the side and gone around to his drivers window to have a word with him enabling you to get a close up of the guy and film him clearly abusing you. Had he struck you and you then defended yourself then police in all likelihood would still have arrested and prosecuted you :sad:.

From your footage the chap looks a 10/10 dipstick fruitcake.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hard to tell whether the pass was close from your footage. I don't doubt it was as you wouldn't have posted if it otherwise. But I have to say Mags you do wind 'em up ...........................

Perhaps you should have propped your bike against the railings at the side and gone around to his drivers window to have a word with him enabling you to get a close up of the guy and him clearly abusing you. Had he struck you and you then defended yourself then police in all likelihood would still have prosecuted you :sad:.

Eh? I gave a w*nker sign as he passed. I don't think he actually saw that, as I suspect he would have reacted to that at the time. When I pass him at the lights I mutter a$$hole, which I am certain he would not have heard. I thin look around and (you can't see this on camera) I indicate with my hand the lack of space he gave me. So how exactly did this wind him up?

You can't make it out on the video, but some of his first words where something like, 'what are you looking at'. I think it was just the fact that I looked at him that he had a problem with.

I'll leave it to our police members to comment on whether I would get prosecuted. I must admit I'm not exactly sure what I would get prosecuted for...but there you go.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I think I would have started laughing at him had he spoken like that to me ...
biggrin.gif

And no offense to you, Magnatom, but his thick Scottish accent is a little comical!

Crankarm

Guru
Eh? I gave a w*nker sign as he passed. I don't think he actually saw that, as I suspect he would have reacted to that at the time. When I pass him at the lights I mutter a$$hole, which I am certain he would not have heard. I thin look around and (you can't see this on camera) I indicate with my hand the lack of space he gave me. So how exactly did this wind him up?

You can't make it out on the video, but some of his first words where something like, 'what are you looking at'. I think it was just the fact that I looked at him that he had a problem with.

I'll leave it to our police members to comment on whether I would get prosecuted. I must admit I'm not exactly sure what I would get prosecuted for...but there you go.

My "You do wind 'em up ......." comment was because you relentlessly and wickedly tried to engage him in rational and logical conversation which only made his behaviour worse ;) .

As I say he was a 10/10 dipstick.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

My "You do wind 'em up ......." comment was because you relentlessly and wickedly tried to engage him in rational and logical conversation which only made his behaviour worse ;) .

As I say he was a 10/10 dipstick.

Ah, fair enough. But that doesn't explain your comment about me being prosecuted! :wacko:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
We, as cyclists, know why you were riding in the road when you had a whole cycle lane free - but does he - a non cycling driver?

To him you were taking the p1ss - you left a whole cycle lane and rode well into the driving lane effectively encroaching in his space. He may be wrong in his belief, but if we understand the driver's psyche we might avoid such confrontations.

It's fine referring cyclecraft or the cycling section of the highway code, but unless you're a cylist, you have no reason to read upon on them.

I think the self-gratification artist signal and the fact you turned around at the lights was unnecessary.

Incident occurred, nobody got hurt, I would have moved on.

When he asked you to move over to the side of the road, you shoule have taken up his offer. But rather than roll up your sleeves for a fist fight, you could have educated him about why you rode where you did. Instead you pointed to the camera as if to say 'haha you can't touch me?

Of course you'll disagree with all of this, but it's an alternate viewpoint. If we understand the other side, we're more likely to get on fine.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

We, as cyclists, know why you were riding in the road when you had a whole cycle lane free - but does he - a non cycling driver?

To him you were taking the p1ss - you left a whole cycle lane and rode well into the driving lane effectively encroaching in his space. He may be wrong in his belief, but if we understand the driver's psyche we might avoid such confrontations.

It's fine referring cyclecraft or the cycling section of the highway code, but unless you're a cylist, you have no reason to read upon on them.

I think the self-gratification artist signal and the fact you turned around at the lights was unnecessary.

Incident occurred, nobody got hurt, I would have moved on.

When he asked you to move over to the side of the road, you shoule have taken up his offer. But rather than roll up your sleeves for a fist fight, you could have educated him about why you rode where you did. Instead you pointed to the camera as if to say 'haha you can't touch me?

I didn't refer to cyclecraft! :smile: To be fair I don't expect drivers to understand my road positioning. It would certainly be nice if they did, but I suspect that will never happen. What I do expect is that drivers respect my road positioning and deal with it safely. There was no reason at all why he could not have given me more space. He CHOSE not to. That might have been out of spite, or perhaps ignorance, I don't know.

I would never, EVER endanger anyone else on the road, just because I don't like what they are doing etc. Anyone who does this, or has this attitude should not be on the road IMO.

As for moving over to the side of the road...he suggested that I switch off my camera and go around the corner. He might not have explicitly said it, but that was a physical threat, and not a willingness to chat. Whilst I am fairly secure in my abilities to defend myself (my judo black belt helps) I would never knowingly put myself in that position (judo philosophy helped here as well). So by pointing at the camera in fact what I did was diffuse the threat.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tis how things end up I am afraid. The house holder who defends himself from the burgulars ..................

Ah, you mean if it came to a fight. Well as I've mentioned I did what I had to to avoid it, and I would continue to do so. Because of my training I probably wouldn't punch anyway, just throw and get away, or throw and incapacitate (arm lock perhaps) until help would arrive. It would be hard to construe either of those courses of action as anything but defensive.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

[QUOTE 1130701"]
Calling the guy a 'self-gratification artist' was that really needed?
[/quote]

Probably not, but he was hurling a significant amount of abuse my way. I thought I took it quite well. :smile:

BSRU

A Human Being
I thought you were very restrained, you should have called him a ned or a numpty, probably more appropriate. A very close pass in wet conditions shows his lack of other road vehicle space requirements and then his torrent of abuse just showed he had no real argument to back up his poor driving manoeuvre.Lack of space, of varying degrees, while overtaking is probably the most common inconsiderate driving manoeuvre I see.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

[QUOTE 1130703"]
Hmm, your riding is there Mag, not here or there but 'there' - high up on a plateau of cycling goodness. But your temperment is not,
embrace our motorist cousins when they have done wrong not shake the coffee cup at them.
[/quote]

LOL! :biggrin:

I will do my best from now on...oh grand master..... magnatom bows his head and whilst continuing to bow his head shuffles slowly backwards out of the room..

Top Bottom