Time spent in the gym

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The weather has been ghastly this last week, and I've not been cycling to work. I've just been totting up the time I spend in the gym and it seems that when I'm commuting, I spend about about 2 hours a week in the gym, but this goes up to about 6 hours when there's nothing else I can do. Do other people find the same?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've never been to the gym with you, so I can't comment I'm afraid. :tongue:

davidwalton

I have no excuse as our gym is in the back garden:sad:

Spend about 90 to 120 mins on the recumbent exercise bike each day at present, mainly to get fit enough for the new cycle I am buying, so while very boring; has purpose.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
davidwalton said:
I have no excuse as our gym is in the back garden:sad:

Spend about 90 to 120 mins on the recumbent exercise bike each day at present, mainly to get fit enough for the new cycle I am buying, so while very boring; has purpose.
Pedals fitted to your sofa? :tongue:

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I never bother with gyms, nasty smelly noisy dirty sweaty places
the whole point of exersise is to get away from other people- fair enough I go swimming but the north |sea is no realistic alternative at this time of year;)
If the weathers too grotty to pedal I go running...no matter how cold it is your feet are always toasty- which is my main gripe with sub-zero cycling

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
I use the gym this time of year. The bike is away now till Spring - Yeh I know I'm a wimp.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
twowheelsgood said:
The only thing that puts me off is really strong windy days.

Ahem....what do you think we've been having this last week? I joined the local municipal gym a couple of months ago and it costs £20 per month which I think is much cheaper than private gyms. Tedium? Well, I suppose it depends what you do. I only use the rowing machine for warming up and then do circuits using various muscle sets. For example, last night I did:

Lats machine 12 x 65 kg then 12 x 50
Pec machine 6 x 40 kg then 6 x 30
Cable machine - warm up 10 x 50 kg then 6 x 60 kg then 6 x 45 kg

I repeated this routine 4 times while dropping the repetitions on the lats machine by 2 each time until down to 6 times.

During the resting times, I did arm lifts and used the leg machines and basically kept going until I was tired, which took me about an hour.

Tonight, it'll be a longer session on the rowing machine and abdominal exercises - inclined sit ups and bridge work with a roller. It can be quite addictive as you feel youself getting stronger each week. Of course, it's nothing compared to what someone serious would do, but I enjoy it.

I always take it easy in Nov/Dec and have a rest before exercising again in earnest in the new year. As such I've not been to the gym for about 4 weeks, but have been keeping up the cycling and the pilates... but when the weather is bad, yes I do go more than normal...or I go moutain biking!

NickM

Veteran
Patrick Stevens said:
... For example, last night I did:

Lats machine 12 x 65 kg then 12 x 50
Pec machine 6 x 40 kg then 6 x 30
Cable machine - warm up 10 x 50 kg then 6 x 60 kg then 6 x 45 kg

I repeated this routine 4 times while dropping the repetitions on the lats machine by 2 each time until down to 6 times.

During the resting times, I did arm lifts and used the leg machines and basically kept going until I was tired, which took me about an hour...
This sounds dangerously obsessive to me (and I speak as a highly trained exercise physiologist).

Have you ever considered the advantages of beer?

bonj2

I don't bother going to the gym hardly at all nowadays, but still stay a member 'cos it works out cheaper for swimming, and can go to the sauna whenever i want

Top Bottom