Time to change the national anthem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru

Cripes, you nearly had me there...As a Yorkshireman, I nearly clicked on the link but realised, just in time, that it looks like Lesley 'I ruined the first British winner of the Tour de France's' podium ceremony' Garrett... Luck escape.

Reactions: mjr
National anthems are tricky. Few are as good as La Marseillaise. Australia got rid of the irrelevant and awful God Save The Queen, and replaced it by popular vote with the nearly-as-awful Advance Australia Fair, a terrible late victorian song by one of those types of poets who thinks "our home is girt by sea" is more poetic than 'we live on an island". Most of the verses had to be removed, and several lines changed - including the first one - to make it suitable for the 20th century. Most people have no idea of the lyrics of the second verse, so it's reduced to an embarrassing mumble until it gets back to the chorus. I think Waltzing Matilda was rejected because a song about sheep stealing and suicide while fleeing the law wasn't the best thing for state funerals.

fimm

Veteran
There's a country out there that doesn't have words to its National Anthem. I think it might be Spain. I suppose I could google it.
Flower of Scotland is a bit of a dirge, IMHO.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Massive disagree. It's probably the most beautiful of all anthems

Globalti

Legendary Member
That Japanese anthem sounds like it was composed by the ghastly Graham Kendrick or one of those other one-finger composers of modern twaddle who have destroyed British church music with marvels of composition like "Shine, Jesus, Shine". Arguably the banality of their music has actually contributed to the decline of organised Christian religion in Britain.

But I digress....

It is Spain. Just because lyrics exist for a tune, doesn't mean the lyrics are part of the official anthem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcha_Real

The Marcha Real (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmartʃa reˈal], "Royal March") is the national anthem of Spain. It is one of only four national anthems (along with those of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo and San Marino) in the world to have no official lyrics.[1]

Top Bottom