Time to make a change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I share your view Mikey.

Personally I would also like to see Think! adverts which contained moronic car drivers doing things like what happend to bollo, or left-hooking cylists - its all wall and good doing them for kids crossing the road and motorbikes, but cyclists never get represented.

Cycle paths only have a place in a society that accepts cycling as a valid mode of transport.

From my limited experience of cycling in France, it seems to me they have a good balance of driver care towards cyclists on roads, but also some decent offroad paths.

It should be remembered that the majority of sustrans routes are in fact on the road, so I'm not sure the argument that they're promoting getting us off the road holds water. As far as I'm concerned, if they encourage more leisure and novice cyclists to get out and about, then all to the good.

domd1979

Veteran
If Sustrans really stood for sustainable transport, they wouldn't campaign against the re-opening of a rail route because they wanted to put a cycle track on the railway track bed.

BentMikey said:
To me, if Sustrans were really sustainable transport, they wouldn't have very much focus on cycle paths at all. Instead they'd be working on cycle parking with proper stands, National Standards training, and supporting the hierarchy of provision. Instead they seem to me to be cycle paths, cycle paths, and more crap and useless cycle paths.

domd1979

Veteran
Yep. Was in Cornwall a while back. Bodmin & Wenford railway had a proposal to extend along a former route alignment to allow China Clay extracted in the area to leave by rail (BWR have a link to the main line) rather than road. Sustrans objected because they wanted the route. In the event the rail freight proposal didn't come off.

BentMikey said:
Did they really do that? Crickey, that's terrible.

Top Bottom