• keep going (remember rule 5)

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • keep to the flat rides

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • build up climbing legs more slowly

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Losing some weight will make a big difference on hills. Give up beer and halve your portions, I have lost 7 kgs living on supermarket meals in the last three months.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Your wife is right! Find a local hill, create a small loop and ride it building the number of loops you do. I use a 4.5 mile route, 420 feet of climbing, includes two ascents, two descents and two nice flat sections. I usually do three loops. The climbs are only 4/4.5% but it's good quick training which can be completed in 45-60 minutes. Plus it's the golden ratio!

Your club experience sounds quite normal though I'm surprised you find the leap from 68 to 80 a challenge. Do you mean you're riding a 34km commute twice a day? The jump from 34 to 80 is a challenge.

davidphilips

Veteran
It can be demoralising to get dropped if every time you go out on a club run you get dropped on hills, thats the bad news,

The good news is you can do some thing about it, dont just turn up and get dropped at the same hill every time, use that feeling of getting dropped to do some hill training, have proper rest and watch your diet between these hilly club runs, then what you will find is you may still get dropped at some point but you will stay with them for longer every time until you can keep up.

What i find on hilly club runs (when we sprint up some hills) is tbh its great to wait on the slower cyclists to get some recovery in, so dont worry about the club waiting on you, the faster the cyclist up the hills is perhaps the cyclist happiest to wait.

Top Bottom