Time Trial Number

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sep1988

I have got my first time trial coming up and was just wondering how you attach the number to yourself?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
safety pins on the back of your jersey/ sleeve.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you've got a skinsuit, which I doubt, you fit it to the back of the shorts - i.e. just below the 'jersey line'. If just a jersey and shorts, then what dan says.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Get someone to pin it on when you are bent over. Otherwise it's going to wrinkle up. If it is attached to your shorts someone is going to have to try and get hold of a piece of tight lycra. One way to make new friends :-)

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Always get someone else to do it. I doubt you will be doing the time trial just on your own (do you have No. 1 by any chance?).

If someone else does it, then they can put it on straight and centred. Always make sure you return the favour though.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Safety pins, and if you are riding in a CTT event, you must pin the small number on your left arm and the large number on your lower back/upper arse so it is visible from the rear when riding in your TT position!

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Information/Procedure/Regulations/tabid/79/Default.aspx - Point 16.

Always get someone else to do it. I doubt you will be doing the time trial just on your own (do you have No. 1 by any chance?).

If someone else does it, then they can put it on straight and centred. Always make sure you return the favour though.

Unless he is pretty quick, he won't be number 1. Start numbers usually correspond to a seeding pattern with 0's and 5's being the fastest, then 1's and 6's etc etc down to 4's and 9's who are the slowest, i.e. the fastest riders go out on the hour, 5 mins past, 10 mins, 15 mins, 20 mins etc, slowest riders set of at 4 mins past, 9 mins past, 14 mins past, 19 mins past etc.

Nosaj

Rob3rt,

Our club differs and others in the area use a similar methodology in that the slowest normally go off first and the fastest last (at 1 min intervals) so that the marshalls do not have to hang around on Breezy corners for too long. Granted it may be different in more formal events

To the OP and assuming it is a more informal club TT affair that follows this method one bit of advice is even though it is your first TT tempting though it may be, try and ask not to go off No. 1 even if if you are expecting a slower time go off around 4th or 5th so you have people to chase down it is surprising how much more pain you can inflict on yourself (and thereby go faster) when you see your minute man in front and you are creeping up on them. It is a great motivator.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
My experience of CTT events (albeit not a large number of them) used the above method, some events may differ, that is a given.

There are always friendly types at these events who will help you.

If you are pinning one on for someone else, do not make the mistake of placing it between the shoulders as for a runner.

If the timers are to see the number it needs to be profoundly bumwards in position.

And the timers do need to see it.

OP
OP
sep1988

sep1988

Safety pins, and if you are riding in a CTT event, you must pin the small number on your left arm and the large number on your lower back/upper arse so it is visible from the rear when riding in your TT position!

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Information/Procedure/Regulations/tabid/79/Default.aspx - Point 16.

Unless he is pretty quick, he won't be number 1. Start numbers usually correspond to a seeding pattern with 0's and 5's being the fastest, then 1's and 6's etc etc down to 4's and 9's who are the slowest, i.e. the fastest riders go out on the hour, 5 mins past, 10 mins, 15 mins, 20 mins etc, slowest riders set of at 4 mins past, 9 mins past, 14 mins past, 19 mins past etc.

Less of the 'He's' :tongue:

Top Bottom