Time Trial PB's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
49 mins for 25:wacko::eek::thumbsup:
You would be amazed at the distances TT'ers will travel to ride a 10 on the V718, quite literally hundreds of miles. The National 10 is being held on it this year and to qualify you will probably need a short 21 or a long 20, it could even be quicker than that, mental.

400bhp

Guru
Yeah, one of the lads on here who is bl00dy quick told me about a club rider that will only do fast courses, but won't do the local courses.

Vanity eh.

OP
OP
Spartak

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
You would be amazed at the distances TT'ers will travel to ride a 10 on the V718, quite literally hundreds of miles. The National 10 is being held on it this year and to qualify you will probably need a short 21 or a long 20, it could even be quicker than that, mental.

They probably won't want me then :ohmy:

gds58

Über Member
The 'Nationals' are sometimes a bit of an odd one in that a lot of the nations 'quick' riders will stay away and you end up with a very diverse field of riders. I do think though that the '10' will be different this year. It's on a superfast course and if the conditions are right some records could be broken, so I think it will attrack a higher than normal number of the 'fast guys'. I will predict that it will take a '17' to win it unless the conditions are really poor, but even then it will be won with an '18'. It's Mike Hutchinsons favourite 10 course but he'll have some stiff competition from the likes of Perrett and Bottrill. Pity they're not in the same team as they could do a '52' team time between them!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

You recon? I was thinking it would close on a short-mid 20 (the last standard open I raced closed on 21:26). I am going to ride the V718 a couple of times next year and hopefully get a short 20. Maybe better, power is up on last year already and I am not training hard yet and I am going to get a bit of a bike fit/aero position tune up from an aero guru and super fast man, when I reduce my brick factor, my times should fall :tongue:

I was convinced I could go <20:30 last time I raced there, but I had taken a week off the week before and had a proper clanger of a ride and blew at the turn.

TBH it's just a guess, but I'll bet the hype for it will start early and as the OP says Nationals are often poorly attended because they are not usually run on drag strips so many of the quick riders stay away, though what the heck a National has to do with riding a PB I have no idea. Very sad IMO.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
TBH it's just a guess, but I'll bet the hype for it will start early and as the OP says Nationals are often poorly attended because they are not usually run on drag strips so many of the quick riders stay away, though what the heck a National has to do with riding a PB I have no idea. Very sad IMO.

I guess the "occasion" can lend that little extra incentive. So even if you know you can't win, you get caught up in the hype and might go away with a nice new PB :smile:

I guess the "occasion" can lend that little extra incentive. So even if you know you can't win, you get caught up in the hype and might go away with a nice new PB :smile:
It will amuse me no end to see how many dns there are if the weather doesn't play ball, though of course in reality not funny and a bad advert for a National if that does happen.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It will amuse me no end to see how many dns there are if the weather doesn't play ball, though of course in reality not funny and a bad advert for a National if that does happen.

If I can get a fast enough time in advance, I will enter and ride. shoot weather on that course is not good though given the spray from traffic so wouldn't be surprised if people say "not today" if the weather is gash.

endoman

Here was I thinking I wouldn't have to worry about qualification times again! Looks like some more trips to the V to knock a bit off will be in order. Good job it's only an hour away. National 10 is on a variant of the real quick course, with an extra bend and a slower finish. There's an event on it at end of March, will be a good indication as to times possible.

If I can get a fast enough time in advance, I will enter and ride. s*** weather on that course is not good though given the spray from traffic so wouldn't be surprised if people say "not today" if the weather is gash.
If the CTT had any bottle they would step in and stop it in those conditions, but that is another can of worms entirely and something we have been arguing about for years.

CJMac

Haven't raced for a few years now but used to mix it up between mainly time trials, road races and some track in that order.
PB's as follows:

10 miles: 19m 11s on V718 (31.97 mph)
25 miles: 49m 04s on H25/13 (30.57 mph)
50 miles: 1h 47m 01s on F1/50 (28.03 mph - should have sprinted for a 1-46!!)
Medium Gear 25 (72"): 59m 45s Cambridgeshire somewhere, non DC

All of these were on Dual Carriageways and were deemed to be 'fast' courses but I don't really care and I don't like to get onto 'discussions' about relative safety etc on different courses. There are merits and negatives for both. I'm just proud of what I achieved. The only one of these I won was the '10', the '25' was won by a certain Chris Boardman in 47m 17s and interestingly the first 11 riders beat 50 minutes! I cannot remember who won the '50' but I think it was one of my Leo Road Club team-mates, Stuart Dangerfield.

The one I'm most proud of is probably the '10' which on paper I wasn't the quickest and I drove 200 miles to Hull for it, got there with just 20 minutes before my start time, and then probably rode on pure adrenaline, took exactly a minute off my PB and beat the next nearest by half a minute! Went back to the same course a week later and did another '19' but not quite as quick.

I do miss the racing but I'm still enjoying my riding now and still taking out some training rides and dishing out some pain to a few younger riders. I can only ever dream of a return to the sort of form I had when I did these PB's though. Hope this is of some interest to somebody!

If you don't mind me asking ... how old were you when you got those sorts of times and how old are you now? Impressive stuff though no matter what the age!

gds58

Über Member
If you don't mind me asking ... how old were you when you got those sorts of times and how old are you now? Impressive stuff though no matter what the age!

These were all done between May 1993 and September 1993 when I was 35 and I am now 55. Couldn't do those times now though!!

Top Bottom