Time Trial PB's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
those times back in '93 would have been very good indeed - you must be quite well known - who are you?
I'm not a betting man, but if I were I'd put my money on somebody well-known in TT circles, born in 1958, with the initials GDS? :whistle: :laugh:

gds58

Über Member
I'm not a betting man, but if I were I'd put my money on somebody well-known in TT circles, born in 1958, with the initials GDS? :whistle: :laugh:
Well deduced Mr Holmes!! Even more information could be gleaned from the profile picture (dates back to 1992 I think!) which indicates being a former member of one of the best Time Trialling clubs in the UK, the Leo Road Club (now sadly no longer in existence) alongside such riders as Graeme Obree, Stuart Dangerfield, Zak Carr, Martin Pyne, Glenn Taylor and many other top 'testers' of the day. So however good my times were, winning races was never taken for granted as there were so many other superb time triallists around at that time and competition was always good.
Thanks for the interest guys, I just like to mess around at Cyclo-Cross these days where nobody knows me and I can stay in the background! No pressure and big fun!
GDS

Brahan

Über Member
Well deduced Mr Holmes!! Even more information could be gleaned from the profile picture (dates back to 1992 I think!) which indicates being a former member of one of the best Time Trialling clubs in the UK, the Leo Road Club (now sadly no longer in existence) alongside such riders as Graeme Obree, Stuart Dangerfield, Zak Carr, Martin Pyne, Glenn Taylor and many other top 'testers' of the day. So however good my times were, winning races was never taken for granted as there were so many other superb time triallists around at that time and competition was always good.
Thanks for the interest guys, I just like to mess around at Cyclo-Cross these days where nobody knows me and I can stay in the background! No pressure and big fun!
GDS

For anyone reading this who isn't sure about the efforts required to be quick.....

Tell us when you can hold 30 mph for 25 miles.

oldroadman

Veteran
Fast is fast and class is class, whatever the discipline. The thing being that a class rider (GDS) would be beating others on any course, not just one of the "fast" courses, which makes the whole question of absolute times a bit odd. More to the point is that certain riders are sticking considerable time into other class riders, and for me the differentials are the important figures. Placings and differentials should determine who gets to ride in an oversubscrbed event like a national, not absolute time, which are a result of a combination of factors most of which (weather, traffic(!!), for example) are beyond a rider's control.
The bottom line is that if the championship was held on a "sporting" course with hills and corners, the same group of riders would tend to come out on top, possibly in a different order, but they would all be in the mix somewhere. Anyway it's hard to see past an on-form Alex Dowsett if he takes the start. The man has simply massive power outputs and can sustain it for quite long enough to do the job.

gds58

Über Member
Fast is fast and class is class, whatever the discipline. The thing being that a class rider (GDS) would be beating others on any course, not just one of the "fast" courses, which makes the whole question of absolute times a bit odd....

The bottom line is that if the championship was held on a "sporting" course with hills and corners, the same group of riders would tend to come out on top, possibly in a different order, but they would all be in the mix somewhere.

Yes I think you're most definitely right, it was absolutely the case (with occasional exceptions) that you could generally predict the top 5 riders, maybe more, but on a 'Fast' course the times would be compacted and maybe only have a minute covering the first five to ten riders, whereas a 'Sporting' course or a hard day (weather) would tend to give a wider spread to the times.

Remember what the great Greg Lemond said when asked if 'winning got easier as you got fitter and stronger' to which he answered "It never gets easier, you just go faster"

gds58

Über Member
Anyway it's hard to see past an on-form Alex Dowsett if he takes the start. The man has simply massive power outputs and can sustain it for quite long enough to do the job.

Alex (Dowsett) who lives near to me, has been out motor paced training with his mate Jack riding a Moped. Recently did 97 miles at over 27 mph average so I reckon he might be up for a bit of a crack at some fast time trials soon. Would love to see him crack comp record if he can match the form with the weather and the course! About 34.5 mph for 17 and a half minutes should do it!!

oldroadman

Veteran
Yes I think you're most definitely right, it was absolutely the case (with occasional exceptions) that you could generally predict the top 5 riders, maybe more, but on a 'Fast' course the times would be compacted and maybe only have a minute covering the first five to ten riders, whereas a 'Sporting' course or a hard day (weather) would tend to give a wider spread to the times.

Remember what the great Greg Lemond said when asked if 'winning got easier as you got fitter and stronger' to which he answered "It never gets easier, you just go faster"

Spot on. I used to like the difficult courses in the dim and distant for the (very) few TT I ever rode in UK. Then as you get older it's still just as hard and you get slower again! Ah, well, I'll just carry on pottering about...;)

oldroadman

Veteran
22.00 for 10 miles

57.48 for 25 miles
Quite quick, well done. Now, who did you beat/get beaten by, and by how much? What sort of courses, a few hills and corners? Not knocking your rides, simply interested in the fixation on times and standard distances in this country.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
Drag strips, on the A1 they no longer use the courses I did those times on ..
Middle of the field as usual, you can be King of club 10s and Mr Nobody
In opens..

S610

Regular
All in first season last year.
S45/10 elevation 470 feet-32.00
S6/10 elevation 187 feet-28.23
S45/19 elevation 940 feet- 1:06:30
All on road bike with TT bars (profile pic was from S45/19 meantioned)
Had a crash late summer resulting in a broken pelvis so not confident im going to break my PB's this year, but ill give it a go!

Top Bottom