Time trial Virgin!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It really is great that you can turn up with what you've got in a kind of "run what you brung" way.

Although I haven't done it for a couple of years that's why I liked it. I did have a TT bike but before that I used all manner of bikes. Also sometimes a pro cyclist will show up at your local 10 and they eat the same cake and drink the same tea as everyone else.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I think you might need to change your front tyre to a red one to match the rear and replace the pedals with red ones as well. This will make you a lot quicker.

Cheers and well done
Keith
Funnily enough I have thought about changing the tyres - standard zaffiro on the front and a rubino on the back (pumped up to 120 psi though) Together with the R501 wheelset, not the quickest wheel combo out there! But yes more red needed!
My mate with full on TT bike and kit was 12 seconds quicker.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Your Mate has probably paid £1500 to gain about 12 seconds on you. You already have the clip on bars, other cheaper ways to go faster in no particular order skinsuit, shoe covers and an aero helmet. Free gains whip you bottle cages and bottles of before you race.Most important thing though is to do a bit of training and you will reap the rewards.

oldroadman

Veteran
Sort out the saddle angle. that's simply awful, and you will be losing power pushing/holding your bodyweight in any sort of reasonable position. Drrop front is one thing, but that looks like (wait for it) a novice triathlon competitors idea of how a saddle should be set. Ask the local club for help. Or send a few pennies on a proper bike fit. It WILL make a difference.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Sort out the saddle angle. that's simply awful, and you will be losing power pushing/holding your bodyweight in any sort of reasonable position. Drrop front is one thing, but that looks like (wait for it) a novice triathlon competitors idea of how a saddle should be set. Ask the local club for help. Or send a few pennies on a proper bike fit. It WILL make a difference.
Yes I knew someone would mention it! Yes it does look a little low on the front, that's just how I had it set for general road riding to stop my mans bits hurting. Definitely haven't adjusted it for time trialing, if anything, a couple of weeks ago I raised the bars about 1.5cm to make it more comfy. I need to sort out my position asap.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Your Mate has probably paid £1500 to gain about 12 seconds on you. You already have the clip on bars, other cheaper ways to go faster in no particular order skinsuit, shoe covers and an aero helmet. Free gains whip you bottle cages and bottles of before you race.Most important thing though is to do a bit of training and you will reap the rewards.
Yep got the shoe covers and the bars, but that's it. Will stick with what I've got for now and just try to get stronger!
I took a bottle as I thought I would need a drink but I hardly had any time to drink and could barely get any down anyway as I was breathing so hard. Won't bother next time.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The S-Works Evade is quite a nice aero/ road bike helmet rather than buying a dedicated helmet . I have no idea if its held in high regard on the TT scene though .

oldroadman

Veteran
Yes I knew someone would mention it! Yes it does look a little low on the front, that's just how I had it set for general road riding to stop my mans bits hurting. Definitely haven't adjusted it for time trialing, if anything, a couple of weeks ago I raised the bars about 1.5cm to make it more comfy. I need to sort out my position asap.
If your "bits" are hurting, you may be sitting too high. Think about a different saddle, possibly with a centre cut out. Have a chat with the club riders you know, take a bit of advice from the old stagers, they usually know a thing or ninety-nine. You'll be OK, just takes time to adjust your body to the stresses of trying to go a bit faster than it wants to!

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
If your "bits" are hurting, you may be sitting too high. Think about a different saddle, possibly with a centre cut out. Have a chat with the club riders you know, take a bit of advice from the old stagers, they usually know a thing or ninety-nine. You'll be OK, just takes time to adjust your body to the stresses of trying to go a bit faster than it wants to!

Levelled out my saddle and gave it a run today, within about 2 miles realised things were not good so stopped, dropped the saddle height by around 5 or 6mm. Things improved dramatically and was able to complete the rest of my 70 mile ride without so much as un clipping, didn't stop at all. Obviously things still got a little un comfy but not enough to have to stop!
Top advice #oldroadman, thanks, sometimes you overlook the simple stuff.
https://www.strava.com/activities/288288981

oldroadman

Veteran
Levelled out my saddle and gave it a run today, within about 2 miles realised things were not good so stopped, dropped the saddle height by around 5 or 6mm. Things improved dramatically and was able to complete the rest of my 70 mile ride without so much as un clipping, didn't stop at all. Obviously things still got a little un comfy but not enough to have to stop!
Top advice #oldroadman, thanks, sometimes you overlook the simple stuff.
https://www.strava.com/activities/288288981
Good man, just take a little time to adjust to the new saddle height. You may now need to lower the bars a little to even things out. Important thing is to make only one alteration at a time. In case you missed it, I'll repeat some advice on saddle height. Measure inside leg (bare feet) crotch to floor. Record result. Multiply by 0.883. Check the distance from centre of bottom bracket axle to top of saddle. This is a basic adjustment. There are others as well, this one worked for a multiple TdF winner, one Bernard Hinault, so it's sound. It always worked for me with minor tweaks. Only adjust minimally once you are sure the basic is comfortable. make sure you sit in the saddle in normal riding, not on the peak. Adjust little by little until it's right. Don't forget, one thing at a time, try out, if OK settle for a few rides then try the next thing. You'll get there and the pleasure and performance will be all the better for it. Remember, in competition it never gets easier, you just get faster! Roulez bien, mon brave.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Good man, just take a little time to adjust to the new saddle height. You may now need to lower the bars a little to even things out. Important thing is to make only one alteration at a time. In case you missed it, I'll repeat some advice on saddle height. Measure inside leg (bare feet) crotch to floor. Record result. Multiply by 0.883. Check the distance from centre of bottom bracket axle to top of saddle. This is a basic adjustment. There are others as well, this one worked for a multiple TdF winner, one Bernard Hinault, so it's sound. It always worked for me with minor tweaks. Only adjust minimally once you are sure the basic is comfortable. make sure you sit in the saddle in normal riding, not on the peak. Adjust little by little until it's right. Don't forget, one thing at a time, try out, if OK settle for a few rides then try the next thing. You'll get there and the pleasure and performance will be all the better for it. Remember, in competition it never gets easier, you just get faster! Roulez bien, mon brave.
Cushty! It's definitely heading in the right direction, and yes was considering dropping the bars a similar amount, they are right at the top of their adjustment at present, so have room to lower them. I may even be able to lower the saddle a touch more but didn't want to make a big adjustment in one go. Will give it a look over next time I take the bike out and do all the measurements.
Mange tout, mange tout!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

As you rotate the pelvis forward, the hips are lifted, as such most saddle height guides end up with saddle too height in very aggressive riding positions (had the saddle sores to prove it :tongue:), especially if you use a dedicated TT saddle that shifts the load away from your soft bits, hah.

Also saddle height can have significant aero and power impacts so it's well worth testing various heights to find the one that lets you go fastest (note: aim for fastest, not most aero or most powerful, you are ranked on time not CdA or W!)

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
As you rotate the pelvis forward, the hips are lifted, as such most saddle height guides end up with saddle too height in very aggressive riding positions (had the saddle sores to prove it :tongue:), especially if you use a dedicated TT saddle that shifts the load away from your soft bits, hah.

Also saddle height can have significant aero and power impacts so it's well worth testing various heights to find the one that lets you go fastest (note: aim for fastest, not most aero or most powerful, you are ranked on time not CdA or W!)
Thanks, more top advice.
I'm just an amateur on an amateurs bike playing at it really, but yes I would like to do the best I possibly can with the bike and body that I've got!
Time trial no.2 on Thursday - 8 miles this time.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Second TT completed last night, shorter 8 mile route.
Was no.18 this time so did a warm up, came back, still several riders lining up so did another short warm up ride, approaching the start realised I was next as there was a vacant spot next to the starter! It was in the minute countdown when I rolled up, won't cut it so fine next time.
Hard outbound into the wind, felt like how could I possibly keep this up for the duration, again blowing hard. Settled down and just pushed everywhere, hard as I could.
22.12 time
14th out of 25 starters
Quickest time was 18.56 on proper kit!
https://www.strava.com/activities/291207432
Very pleased with that!

Top Bottom