Time trial Virgin!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Tomorrow night I shall be participating in my first TT, 10 mile local course, not too hilly.
I've practiced the course twice last year, first attempt when I got my roadie and started cycling (since childhood) in August - 33 mins, second attempt in September, just over 30 mins, so progress was made.
My bike is the Ventura CP50 from Argos which I picked up in the sale for £400, I've fitted tri bars........and that's pretty much it! I'm not expecting to pull up any trees competing with full on TT bikes but if I can get a sub 30 min ride I will be happy, KOM on that course is 22.28.
I must admit I'm slightly nervous.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Just do your best and enjoy it (if that's the right phrase) :wacko:
I always found myself thinking why am I doing this to my self but then after I'd finished wanting to do it again:laugh:
Good luck and remember you are only racing yourself.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Tomorrow night I shall be participating in my first TT, 10 mile local course, not too hilly.
I've practiced the course twice last year, first attempt when I got my roadie and started cycling (since childhood) in August - 33 mins, second attempt in September, just over 30 mins, so progress was made.
My bike is the Ventura CP50 from Argos which I picked up in the sale for £400, I've fitted tri bars........and that's pretty much it! I'm not expecting to pull up any trees competing with full on TT bikes but if I can get a sub 30 min ride I will be happy, KOM on that course is 22.28.
Good luck and have fun . I went to one last week but wasn't able to ride as it was fully booked . Everyone was friendly and keen , I even picked up a few tips from someone else not able to ride as we watched people .

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
A couple of my mates have done it the last couple of years and there's another lad like me first timer, quite a commitment as I think it's pretty much every week now untill Autumn using 4 courses. My mates are PB 26mins and 27 mins so that's really where I'm aiming! I've only just started using the TT bars and they take a bit of getting used to, flat out down a hill for instance, and I can't seem to keep my arms in the position for long periods as they sort of go numb, just not used to the position I guess. Be interesting what the turnout is like, pretty good weather and all that.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Good luck and have fun . I went to one last week but wasn't able to ride as it was fully booked . Everyone was friendly and keen , I even picked up a few tips from someone else not able to ride as we watched people .
Hadn't even considered that it might be too busy.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.

The first time I did a TT I was so nervous I pulled the straps on my brand new pointy helmet too hard and ripped the seams away from the joins! :laugh:

And when the starter let go of my bike I forgot to pedal and very nearly fell off into the gutter. :stop:

But, apart from those minor blips and also the 10 miles of pure unadulterated agony, everything else was fine! :becool:

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The first time I did a TT I was so nervous I pulled the straps on my brand new pointy helmet too hard and ripped the seams away from the joins! :laugh:

And when the starter let go of my bike I forgot to pedal and very nearly fell off into the gutter. :stop:

But, apart from those minor blips and also the 10 miles of pure unadulterated agony, everything else was fine! :becool:
I'll try to remember to stay calm, my heart rate is increasing just thinking about tonight!

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Yer, just go out and give it a go. It's tempting to offer all sorts of advice such as, " pace the first half and race the second half " but until you've experienced one or two for yourself, all the wisdom in the world won't make a blind bit of difference to how you do or the way you do it.

And, if someone's taking photographs, smile as nonchalantly as you can; then inform everyone back at HQ that tonight was just a training run, and your main goal this season is the Budapest 10 mile handicap in late October. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom