Time trial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlwyckman

Would be thankful for some advices about time trial training. I want to be really fast on short distances as 3-5 km. What should I do, and how? Perhaps some one can give example for a "normal" week?

Notice that I just want to get better at time trial, I stil want to be good at the longer distances too.

montage

God Almighty
People will no doubt shout about interval training..but my opinion is that if you want to go faster, pedal harder. Sorry I am not that useful! (But will be watching the response to this thread with interest myself)

Will1985

Über Member
Without a power meter, I'd say it's all about distance training and (turbo) intervals to develop a better lactate threshold.
Start off with some short intervals of a minute or so, and build up to longer 5 or 10 minute intervals. Generally speaking you want to do sets of intervals which add up to a time you expect to do. In the UK we do 16km TTs, so for instance a 24 minute person might be looking at 8 intervals of 3 minutes and later 3 intervals of 8 minutes at a 40km/h pace.

aran20

carlwyckman said:
Would be thankful for some advices about time trial training. I want to be really fast on short distances as 3-5 km. What should I do, and how? Perhaps some one can give example for a "normal" week?

Notice that I just want to get better at time trial, I stil want to be good at the longer distances too.

Possibly, if you have a velodome nearby, get a fixed bike and do some hard sessions around the boards. For the distances you want to be riding, hard efforts at a high cadence around a track would be ideal. I used to do this in the closed season and found it really helped.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome carlwyckman

Where in Sweden? I lived in Helsingborg for a while.

Intervals and Turbo sessions would be good, but really joining a club would be an excellent Idea if there is one near you.

TT's are about measured effort and a lot of pain!

OP
OP
C

carlwyckman

Thanks! A smal town called oskarshamn near to oland! I am joining a club there later this month or next. Helsingborg is a nice town! Why did you move?

Chrisz

Über Member
carlwyckman said:

Probably the best way to get better at TTs is to do them. Join a local cluba nd see if they run evening/club TT events. In the UK most clubs run evening '10' events (a 10 mile TT) and there is a regular schedule of 10, 25 and 50 mile events at the weekends.

If you are disciplined you can train on a turbo trainer - personally I found it better/more effective to get out on the bike and do the distances as fast as possible on a regular basis. This, combined with the club evening events, helped me get my times down to the low 21 minutes for a 10 (not brilliant but I didn't start till I was 34 :evil:)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
carlwyckman said:
Thanks! A smal town called oskarshamn near to oland! I am joining a club there later this month or next. Helsingborg is a nice town! Why did you move?
Oland is very nice!

I was on secondment to the head-office of the company I was working for, the infamous "Glas-huset" of Helsingborg. We were taken over by and American corporation and it seemed a good idea to return to the UK. My daughter was coming-up to schooling age as well, so unfortunately it came to an end. Spent 18 months there, it was fabulous.

OP
OP
C

carlwyckman

Fab Foodie said:
Oland is very nice!

I was on secondment to the head-office of the company I was working for, the infamous "Glas-huset" of Helsingborg. We were taken over by and American corporation and it seemed a good idea to return to the UK. My daughter was coming-up to schooling age as well, so unfortunately it came to an end. Spent 18 months there, it was fabulous.

Ok, have heard about Glas-huset before I think. Sweden is a nice country it really is but these days I wish that I came from France or Spain. It still snows here some days and the temperatur hasn´t gone up that much. It sucks tough I want to spend many hours on my bike now!

gavintc

Guru
In my experience, I train better when some one else is pushing me to keep up. When I am out on my own, I notice a hill is never quite as hard as when I ride with the club. The spur of keeping with people who are just a little bit better hurts lots, but gets you fitter. I started to lose a wheel at the back of the club run on Wed night and I just knew that if a gap developed it would hurt even more. So, legs screaming in pain and wanting me to slow down, I just had to dig deeper and keep on that wheel. I hated it, but the high afterward was superb.

montage

God Almighty
gavintc said:
In my experience, I train better when some one else is pushing me to keep up. When I am out on my own, I notice a hill is never quite as hard as when I ride with the club. The spur of keeping with people who are just a little bit better hurts lots, but gets you fitter. I started to lose a wheel at the back of the club run on Wed night and I just knew that if a gap developed it would hurt even more. So, legs screaming in pain and wanting me to slow down, I just had to dig deeper and keep on that wheel. I hated it, but the high afterward was superb.

Agreed - got dropped due to poor technique on a practise team TT....absolutely blew my brains trying to catch them up again...managed it but as soon as I got onto the wheel, I lost it again through shear exhaustion (tip: don't reduce speed too sharply when coming off the front!)

Top Bottom