Time Trialing - Dying on it's Arris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Looking at the results posted on the Time Trialing Forum I was astonished to see how few riders were in most of the events, even 25s, long the most popular distance and run by established clubs down to fields in the thirties.

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?s=864792433b62cb74c13c16090a3f4bcd&showforum=41

Considering how popular cycling has become that was a surprise, when I was racing most open events had full start sheets of 120 riders with a good number of returned entries. Just a blip, or has the Race of Truth bit the dust in favour of sportives?

Could be that less people are joining clubs , this is the normal route to time trialing
would Imagen that sportive numbers are high , And track cycling is also seeing a small increase !

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Numbers vary at the local 10 I tend to do from 30 odd to 80 plus. Seems to have been static across the last few years. Weather plays a part and fewer pro racers ride when they are in the road racing season.

User269

When I first joined CC Weymouth there would be at most 6 of us (usually vets) on the weekly TT. For some years now it's been 15 - 30 each week, and it's thriving! Same with all the area clubs, Poole Wheelers etc.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When I first joined CC Weymouth there would be at most 6 of us (usually vets) on the weekly TT. For some years now it's been 15 - 30 each week, and it's thriving! Same with all the area clubs, Poole Wheelers etc.
Looking on a former clubs website the numbers for club events seem to be around the same as they were 20 or even forty years ago. But going by the link to the time trial forum open events are scraping the barrel for entrants. So it seems the same percentage of clubmen still ride TTs, but perhaps the number of clubs has fallen so much the overall figures are down.

I can't help wondering why cycling clubs are doing very little to cash in on the boom by making attempts to attract new members. My last club folded in it's centenary year because it ignored the fact that an aging membership was dying off in sufficient numbers to eventually kill it stone dead.

Looking on a former clubs website the numbers for club events seem to be around the same as they were 20 or even forty years ago. But going by the link to the time trial forum open events are scraping the barrel for entrants. So it seems the same percentage of clubmen still ride TTs, but perhaps the number of clubs has fallen so much the overall figures are down.

I can't help wondering why cycling clubs are doing very little to cash in on the boom by making attempts to attract new members. My last club folded in it's centenary year because it ignored the fact that an aging membership was dying off in sufficient numbers to eventually kill it stone dead.
Would be interested to know what club this is ...

zizou

Veteran
Its not just sportives that have grown road, track, cx and circuit racing has too with many races over subscribed. I think for many this sort of racing is more interesting than blasting up and down a dual carriageway on your own.

Although that being said im not sure if TTs are in decline - there are still lots of popular events and some clubs still have healthy numbers at their confined events.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

This might be part of the problem.

gds58

Über Member
I work in a high end bike shop in Essex and therefore get to talk to a lot of guys and girls who are in clubs and racing etc. It seems that the numbers turning up for club evening 10's and 25's have increased considerably to the point that some are being turned away. However I get the feeling that a majority of these riders won't take the plunge into 'proper' open events where they can really test themselves against a greater number of good riders. Big fish in a small pond scenario!! This even applies to some guys who are maybe doing middle 22's on a club's sporting 10 course and winning the evening 10 so everybody thinks they're a bit of a hero. The reality is that they'd get beaten by a minute or more in a decent open event but would probably learn a lot more quickly how to ride faster/better. So many of them seem to be obsessed with bl**dy STRAVA which has now got completely out of hand and proves nothing. Time Trials are called 'The race of truth' for a reason, it seems that a lot of riders don't like the truth!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
In my district there have been a few open events that have been over subscribed this year, this never normally happens since the courses are slow and ropey, to not get a ride on the J2/9 because you aren't quick enough would have reduced many to laughter only a year ago, this year it has been a reality. Fast course events throughout the country are still attracting full fields too.

The above is also, true club events are attracting big numbers (including lots of female riders...) but many riders aren't bothering with open events for whatever reason. Whether it is about the level of competition I don't know, it is true that club events generally have a lower level of competition (I win club events with minutes to spare yet have never won an open, usually trounced by several minutes) but I think other factors put people off, such as the perception if the "step up" to different distances, people who don't do them seem to think a 25 is a big deal vs a 10. Then there is the fact you can just turn up on the day to a club event vs pre entering an open, this suits some people's lifestyles.

Top Bottom