Time Xen E Road Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kr4t0z

Hello! Just a quick question. I have a friend selling me some Time Xen E pairs and not sure if they're quite good enough. Struggling to find some reviews.

Cheers!

OP
OP
K

Kr4t0z

*Bump*

Getting them today, need to know ASAP. are they any good?

Cheers again!

e-rider

crappy member
Time pedals are well known to be a bit on the heavy side.

They have plenty of float - this may or may not be to your liking.

They have problems with weighting so that the pedal can end up upside down when you are trying to clip your foot in.

And some models had problems with the end of the pedal snapping off - I believe there was a recall on those affected.

OP
OP
K

Kr4t0z

*Bump*

Thanks for replying. You've mentioned all the negative points generally, but still I see other reputed pedals that do have some negative points as well.

Are you saying that I shouldn't buy them? What about people out there trying them?

Come on I need some help ;)

e-rider

crappy member
positives:

good firm connection between shoe and pedal

lots of float and movement (if you like that)

some people like the quirky look of them

decent bearings

If they're going cheap, give them a try.

OP
OP
K

Kr4t0z

I don't know if you guys think 30 pounds for that is cheap, but I'll give them a try. Why not!

Thanks for your replies ^^,

e-rider

crappy member
£30 isn't cheap for secondhand Xen E pedals (they only cost £49 new), and as for why not..... I've listed several points above.

Sounds like you were going to buy them no matter what was said about them.

OP
OP
K

Kr4t0z

No, not really. I've seen people saying negative points about SPD pedals while others been using them for ages. I haven't tried them yet but they're in good condition. Thanks for replying anyways, but what I was really after was people who have really used it not what you've guys heard or speculated

Cheers! :tongue:

e-rider

crappy member
I've used Time clipless pedals (not Xen E though), Look clipless (2 different models), Campagnolo clipless and Shimano SPDs (3 different models)

I'd say I have some experience of clipless pedals.

The points I made were specific to Time Xen pedals, not clipless pedals in general.

OP
OP
K

Kr4t0z

Yes me too. I just gave an example about SPD pedals. I too wasn't talking about clipless pedals in general. How did you find the Time pedals? Have you encountered any problems with clipping/unclipping etc?

Thats why I was after experience and not speculations ^^,

e-rider

crappy member
They are difficult to clip-in - spring tension, and therefore knee breaking to get your foot out. The ones I had had no tension adjustment.

They get stuck upside down, making it tricky to get your foot in.

They had too much float for my liking (which wasn't adjustable).

They were heavy

Good bearings, and cleats last for ages

Yes, I'm not a big fan!
I like Look Keo at the moment but the bearings don't seem to be that great and the cleats wear quickly.

OP
OP
K

Kr4t0z

Thanks for replying, tundragumski. I haven't used them yet. Another thing, the pedals are 152g on a scale, and my friend compared it to his Carbon XEN, which were around 154. I assume carbon has to weigh less.

e-rider

crappy member
According to Time, Xen Carbon pedals weigh 156g each.

Cheapo Look Keo pedals weigh 140g each.

Look keo carbon pedals are only 120g each.

Unless you're a serious racer you shouldn't worry about the small amount of extra weight from Time pedals.

Top Bottom